Followers

Saturday 20 April 2013

Waste not, Want not.

We normally eat our meals at the table but every now and then we have a "movie" night with a couple of DVD,s and a buffet dinner. I set out all the dishes on the table and we have a tray on our laps.
I used a load of strips left over from another project ages ago to make tray cloths, I got 6 out of the scraps. Yesterday I was turning out one of my plastic boxes of bits and bobs and found 12 orphan blocks. 4 were  HST left over from a quilt and cushion covers and the other 8 I made as an experiment. I was not over impressed and put them away for future work, then promptly forgot them.

This morning I gave them a quick press and found a piece of material for backing and set to sewing. before I do the show and tell I have to tell you that the trays we use are different sizes so more by luck than judgement I managed to get 3 cloths that almost perfectly match the tray sizes.


Here they are on the ironing board and you can clearly see the 3 sizes.



These are the 2 smaller sizes, if you look closely you will see that the pin wheel points do not match, a case of more haste less speed but I did not bother to unpick, they are scrap tray cloths after all.




This is the largest, to get the size that I needed I cut the backing over sized and wrapped it round to form a self binding border.

I am almost to the end of the pink and green stash and if truth be told I am glad, it is becoming too repetitive and just a touch boring.

Just in front of the machine you will see the leaders and enders that will make my "scrap vomit" quilt, I will show more tomorrow and of course you can see the normal clutter that comes when I sew.

Dinner tonight will be Roast chicken, potato wedges with sweet and normal potatoes and salad , can hardly wait, when i get the urge to sew i do not eat, just can not spare the time. Perhaps I should sew 5 days a week, all day, no need to watch what I eat then, I could have a day on Ben & Jerry and a day on cake, maybe not. 

In those immortal words. That's all Folks.   TTFN   Pam





4 comments:

  1. A great way to use up your spare blocks. This morning I went to buy some nice fabric to work in with your blocks as we have a visiting fabric seller at the workshop. I might have also picked up a few other bits and pieces LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you did manage to pick some goodies up, I never let an opportunity slip by. I carry a small(ish) sum of money at all times just in case.

      Delete
  2. Wish I could learn patchwork as the things you and other clever people make are so brilliant. I can do X stitch and mending and straight things like curtains but thats my complete knowledge of sewing. Maybe I don't have the patience or I might have had a go by now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can sew a straight seam you can make patchwork blocks, I have a stack of books, if you would like me to send you one email me your snail mail address. Have a look at the Missouri Star Quilts web site, they have marvelous video tutorials.

      Delete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.