Followers

Friday 6 December 2013

The Race is ON.

I have decided to jump the gun on my £1500 in 2014 challenge and start today. My Co op Divi has been added to my balance, although it is less than last year, my total stands at £46.74. That sum will be rounded up to £50 and used as the first deposit into the challenge account. I am no financial wizard so I will be trawling around to find the best place to open this. All suggestions gratefully received.
 On the topic of receiving, the mince pies met with a very warm welcome, as did the sausage rolls.

My spend today was £2.35 on the greengrocer market stall, I will buy milk during the week which will take my purchases up to £3.35 for the week. Do a little happy dance....... 

If I could I would add one of those slidey things to the side to show my savings, instead I will just put it in the post every time I make a deposit.
 This is a short post as when I had the room cleared ready to go I  discovered a patch of skirting board with about as much substance as a warm marshmallow. 
At the beginning of last winter the down pipe came away from the wall, there was some water ingress but the pipe was put back and plaster dried out and was painted. I now realise that the Bodger/Idle Bugger who did the work skimped on it. The skirting has been slowly rotting away and needs to be replaced, I know a man who can BUT not till after The New Year. My paint and brushes have been returned to the Glory Hole cupboard under the stairs for a month or so. RATS RATS and RATS again.
And there's more.
I have intended all along to start in Fran's room but there is too much of her stuff in there so I started in the lounge.  I wanted to move the furniture around, to make more use of the natural light, and the sofa is too big for where I want it, more rats. However it is there where I want it and it is staying put until I source a replacement on Lobay or somewhere similar. I will not be rushing off to "Pile it High sell it NOW" furniture shop to get a new sofa for Christmas in the permanent sale. My room is nearly in order, my recently emptied built in cupboards have been stocked with all the sewing clutter essentials and I have my machine table set up under the window, lots of natural light. My cutting table, drop leaf, is on the opposite wall and there is room for my ironing board as well.


Reasons to be grateful.

1. The Challenge is on with a good start.

2. I found so many "lost" things as I cleared the room to decorate.

3. I found my thimble, it was my Grannies so I am VERY grateful.

4. My house suddenly appears bigger.

5. I now have a few weeks to play with my sewing.

In a way this has been a blessing, there are several sewing finishes that can happen next week, they were going to be put on hold till January, my 3 quilts can be basted and quilted and my aprons can be cut and made. I also would like to make some more cushion covers. I am gonna be busy busy busy, while my hands are guiding fabric through Little Gem they can not be guiding chocolate into my mouth so it is win win.

Tea then walking Ben with Greg, his new BFF, Greg is a black and white Border Collie and Ben runs like a steam train to keep up with him, good for both of them.

                          TTFN                                    Pam


13 comments:

  1. They look good Pam, as usual with your cooking. I really wanted one of those bars as well but couldn't work out how to do it. I know now so if you want raspy peasy instructions let me know and ill send them to you.

    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the middle of painting the dining room...you can't sit in very many places, as most chairs have some picture on them so they don't get broken...someone said this is a bad time to paint. Is there a good time? As we are away for several weeks over Christmas, it doesn't matter anyway if the woodwork is only half done...

    Enjoy you sewing spot..I always like to be in the thick of things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had another think and the coving and ceiling have now been done, all the cupboard doors are having their turn and most of the skirting board is done, there is just a gap left which will be done when the bad patch has been replaced. Once I get into my new sewing space it will be all systems go.

      Delete
  3. Lol, lots of happy dances going on today :)
    Great start to your cash challenge ready for the new year. Not so great about the bad woodwork but at least you get some extra time sewing as a result.
    Jake can run like a greyhound so I can just imagine how hard Ben is working on his "walks" with his new buddy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read about your lucky find, green with envy, I am so pleased for you. Ben loves his runs with Greg and is standing by the door 5 minutes before we go. He is very restful when he gets back.

      Delete
  4. Pam, have sent to your email account from your profile. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pam,
    I have started the challenge this month too, it just makes sense really (well to me) and I think we may loose enthusiasm if we wait until next month. It is disappointing that your work cannot be done until the new year, but at least you have time to clear a few more bits away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a trawl round and the rates are so low that I will stay with my BS just open a new account.

      Delete
  6. Good on you - how abut an ISA? I am totally not the person to ask financial advice, i do the very ordinary, basic stuff with my account and I like it that way, but you do get a bit extra with ISAs. How virtuous you must be feeling after your big Clear Out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be opening an account sometime today with my BS, something that I can use on line, the rates are so low that there is nothing to be gained by going elsewhere.

      Delete
  7. Yay! You found your thimble. Well done with all your clutter clearance. And well done on making such a good start with your savings. I think I've added about £6 to my sealed tins this week, so I've made a start too, though not quite up to your standards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased to have my thimble back, no more "teabag finger tip".

      Delete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.