Followers

Sunday 8 December 2013

Two Step Forewards, One Step Back!

Oh my  we have been busy, after the skirting board discovery, much scratching of heads and ifs and ands talking a decision was made to crack on with the decorating.
The coving could be done, the cupboard doors, the 2 doors out of the room and most of the skirting could all be glossed, leaving a stand alone wall that joins the rotten bit to be done once replacement has happened.
So a start was made, Saturday all went well, I even gave the windows a thorough clean inside and out, nets down and washed,shiny shiny.
Today all started well, then it went belly up, while scraping down some loose paint on 1 wall a little plaster fell away. On investigating a bit more fell and then some more. I now have a semi circular cavity right down to the brickwork 2' long by 18" wide where, I think, the plaster was too dry. It is all in hand and should be made good next week. The joys of living in such an old house.

On the other hand I have sorted through the CD,s and the DVD,s and have a large bag of each to dispose of. I haven't summoned up the will to go through my cookbooks, it will be painful.

Reasons to be grateful.

1. 2 jobs knocked off my list.

2. Sparkling windows, inside and out.

3. Two sunny days side by side to walk Ben.

4. An offer of some well berried Holly for my mantelpiece.

5. A long chat on the phone with Fran later.

I changed my bed and vacuumed as usual and I am amazed that Ben has any hair left, that was all that was picked up. 
I have linen on the bed that has been buried at the back of the cupboard for months if not years.
I have a delicious dinner cooking and the smell is driving me mad, add to that the fact that I spent an hour watching the sublime Nigel cooking yet more Festive food, and it is no wonder that I have "the Rumblies in The Tumblies" and quite a bit of mouth watering going on.


               TTFN                            Pam



14 comments:

  1. I just watched that and am in the mind to make some marzipan cakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love almonds but I hate marzipan with a passion, even the stuff I make myself, I think it is the texture as much as the taste, I thought about adding toasted flaked almonds.

      Delete
  2. Be brave ... the cook book thing has to be done!
    I did a similar thing with my sewing stash this week and have sold it on today ... before I could change my mind.

    Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that it has to be done and done next week. Francesca will pick through the discards first then the rest will go.

      Delete
  3. Hi, Pam, have you thought of sending your cds and dvds off to Music Magpie (http://www.musicmagpie.co.uk/). Postage is free so it won't cost anything except a bit of time. I've recently made £20 for some items I was going to get rid of anyway. You could maybe make some money to go towards those repairs to your plasterwork and skirting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think about it but I am going to take them to my local Charity shop, they run a small cat rescue and are always in need of funds. I hope that the amount that I am moving will bring them in at the very least £50. Yes I would like the money but they need it.

      Delete
  4. A lovely list of grateful things. I love crossing things off of lists as well, so satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that having a list keeps me focused, I can get sidetracked in the blink of an eye. I put the most pressing jobs at the top and, just like most, as I cross 1 thing off I add 2 more.

      Delete
  5. Ah, now I see the plaster issue. What a bummer! How many cook books do you have? I have loads and sod it I'm keeping them. Keep missing Nigel, he's the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dare not count them but I admit to having EVERY book by Delia, Nigella, Jamie, Sophie (and her Mum Jane),Galton and the Hairy Bikers to name a few. Then there is my collection of war time and pre war, oh and don't forget Hugh Fearlessly Eats it All. Not to mention Nigel, Eric Lanlard, Mary berry and the Barefoot Contessa.

      Delete
  6. We have the growing piles of dog hair, too...our black Lab seems to shed his weight in hair! A constant battle!
    I confess to having tons of cookbooks...I went through them and gave a lot away, and then went out and bought another copy of one of the old ones I'd gotten rid of....
    Despite your problems with your old house, I think they are well worth it; they are so beautiful and have so much character!
    Thanks for your reasons to be grateful..it is a good daily reminder to be happy for the small things in life...
    I have FABRIC I must declutter...having worked in a fabric shop for years, I have a lot I bought on sale (or not!) and with my discount....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are 2 areas which will not be culled and they are my sewing supplies and my Kitchen cupboards, I only have what I use, I confess to buying a few "wonderful" gadgets over the years only to pass them on minus the dust that they have gathered. Now there is nothing in my kitchen that I do not use regularly. My sewing machines are due for a weed out now, one of the cabinet Singers and one freestanding will have to go. I will make the cut this weekend I already have homes lined up for both. I have a limited amount of space and my new Treadle is a "Big Girl". I love fabric but as i also love sewing as some comes in so some goes out and the level stay pretty constant.

      Delete
  7. I hate starting any DIY jobs as they always seem to end up bigger than I thought. Hope you get the plaster sorted out soon. I went through all my CD's and DVD's recently too, there were loads I got rid of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only weeded out the ones that I know I will never watch or listen to again. It is quite an eclectic mix, everything from Val Doonican to the Kaiser Chiefs.

      Delete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.