Followers

Wednesday 12 February 2014

Banshees Evicted by Kilkenny Cats

Another busy day, totally enjoyable though, my 9 patches are halfway to becoming blocks. They don't look too bad, I was a bit worried about the red but am glad that I went with it now.





It hasn't all been happy sewing though, I had to do a bit of this as well.


When you carry pens in your pockets they gradually wear a hole through and it is a rather an unsettling feeling when one slithers down the inside of your leg. Squirmy very squirmy.
All mended now, I do not like mending but these are favourite jeans, and yes they are men,s but the fit is fantastic.

I had to buckle down and do that as this dropped on the mat this morning and I would not touch it till my sewing was done.



The pattern was free inside and I am already deciding what fabrics I will be using. 
There is a buying guide to dress forms as well, just what I need as I want to replace the one that went walkabout a few years ago.
 I have only skimmed through it and will be curling up with a brew later to read it cover to cover. There is a brand new Janome sewing machine on the back cover, I may have to do a bit of surfing to find a price. I have a strong suspicion that it will be somewhere around £How Much!!!

I have done a bit of baking but can not share as it has gone to my neighbours. I read a few blogs yesterday that talked about a week for  "Random Acts of Kindness". I suppose that was one. Really it is just the way that I was raised, if someone needs and you can fulfill that need then you just do.  I certainly don't need to be prompted or have a week dedicated to it.

Reasons to be grateful.

1. I managed 3 walks in the dry despite the rain.

2. My cottage smells of  Steak and Kidney Pie and Bakewell Pudding, and I nearly forgot the Apple Crumble.

3. I have more homemade soup for dinner tonight, yum.

4. We have a date for the village shop to re open Feb 22. Yes!

5. I managed to find 2 more David Baldacci books at the library yesterday.

The wind after lying low came back with a vengeance this morning. It sounded for all the world like KilKenny cats screaming expletives at the World. 
KilKenny Cats? you say, what on Earth? well sit back and enjoy the rhyme.

There once were two cats from KilKenny,
Each thought there was one cat too many.
So they fought and they fit,
And they scratched and they bit.
Till (excepting their nails
and the tips of their tails)
Instead of two cats there weren't any!

I remember that from school days, I used to be able to recite the Jabberwocky and one of these days I will memorise it again.

Anyway it sounded like a barn full of cats earlier, now it is just gusting not screaming.

I made bread in the bread maker yesterday and it was heavy, I peeped through the plastic panel about 30 minutes before it was due to come out, I could see that it had not risen properly and instantly new why. I had used my cup measures instead of the ones that came with the machine. It will be fine toasted with the soup and the rest will become big croutons and breadcrumbs. So I could find myself eating S.O.S. tomorrow, lovely with crisp shingles.

Time to say goodbye, well only till the next post.

 TTFN                                                  Pam. 





.



8 comments:

  1. Not sure if you are looking for a sewing machine, but in the States you can find some really nice used ones that have been serviced and are for sale. They usually have been traded in for a new one.
    I think the red looks great!
    We are waiting for a major snow storm to start tonight..they are saying anywhere from 9 to 16 inches....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not looking for another machine, I like looking at the new models and maybe one day i will splurge and buy one.

      Delete
  2. Howling winds here too, and thunder and lightening to go with the driving rain this evening. Lovely! I'm skipping my volunteering this week; some trains cancelled today and there's no guarentee the buses will all run so as its a 9 mile journey each way I might have trouble getting back even if I can get in okay. I've heard of Random Acts of Kindness before and thought it would be nice to follow one idea which is making little stuffed toys with labels attached and leaving them around for anyone to take home. Ilona on Life After Money has been giving away handmade tote bags which is also a form of RAK. I like your latest quilt, the red makes it lovely and bright. I have a Janome machine that I got last year. I love it because, as a beginner sewer, it has a speed control. One of the fears I had with other machines was not being able to control the pressure on the foot pedal, but with my Janome it won't go any faster than the speed I've set with the slide control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used the speed control when sewing little scraps and awkward shapes but normally it is "pedal to the metal". I am always in a hurry. Janome make lovely machines but my dream machine is a Baby Lock.

      Delete
  3. The wind yesterday was terrible, and I know just what you mean about Kilkenny Cats now you've shared the poem. I don't like the way my breadmaker bakes bread so I use it to make the dough and then take it out and bake it in the oven. I've recently been making No Knead Bread and that's delicious, especially toasted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the breadmaker when I am engrossed in something and need a loaf. I have seen No Knead bread mentioned here and there, I will have to hunt down the recipe and give it a whirl.

      Delete
  4. I can't tell you how !any buttons I sew on here, they just seem to fall off bought garments at the slightest pull !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Granny taught me to remove buttons from new garments and then sew them on properly, I still do it now, mind you it is a long while since I bought new clothes.

      Delete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.