Followers

Monday 5 May 2014

Working and Lazing, Enjoying Both

I have spent the last two days either busy in the cottage or the garden, if the sale goes through, fingers crossed, I want everything to be as nice as it can be. If the sale does not happen I will still be here and want it as it should be. I have forked over some of the veg beds, attacked the Ground Elder that creeps through from next door, pulled and cooked some Rhubarb and moulded up the new potatoes. There is still plenty to do, you never have to look for a job when you have a garden.
My summer curtains are up and the heavy ones will be washed today. The laundry is bang up to date and once today's load is done I am going to pull the machine out and check behind it, remove any spider webs and wash the wall and the back of the machine. I try to do this every few months, the cottage is very spidery.
Also on the list is a deep clean of the cooker, a job I loath so do it often, that way it does not take long. I have a deep plastic tub that holds the shelves while they soak and make it so easy to clean them. Soda crystals and hot water do the job, no noxious chemicals or acid cleaner here. Bicarbonate of Soda mixed into a paste with water takes every mark off the floor and the hob with very little elbow grease needed.
All the time I do these things I feel the shade of Granny at my side, this is much how she cleaned her house.

When I have not ben working I have been on the sofa with Ben and some hooky watching TV. Not my usual habit but when I realised that I could see Simon Ward as a young Winston and The Spiderwick Chronicles not to mention a few hours at Pearl Harbour I hauled my box of yarn over to the sofa, arranged cushions and throw, made sure the tea caddy was full and enjoyed my viewing immensely. I caught the odd episode of How I Met Your Mother, sometimes I love this and other times I hate it, some wonderful Big Bang Theory and one of the Madagascar films. I also managed to spend a while with James Martin in Saturday Kitchen and a quick visit to the Superscrimpers.
Ben still had his walks and I made a couple of mincemeat cakes, Marina had a house full of family yesterday so one of those went down a treat, still a little warm from the oven.
I roasted a small piece of RTC boneless rib of beef for Sunday dinner, plenty for a salad today and maybe a little for Ben. Who am I kidding, he had some yesterday, with Yorkshire Pudding but no gravy, it is too salty for him and I put onions in it.

I have finished the top for my Ripple Cushion and am going to decide what to back it with, I would like to use Granny Squares but I am itching to make a start on Mr & Mrs Frank, watch this space.

Reasons to be grateful.

1. Lots of jobs done and dusted.

2. Lots of hooky time done.

3. Oodles of escapism TV watching done.

4. Some baking of cakes happened.

5. The Sun has been shining down with abandon.

It is 7:20 and the sun woke me over an hour ago, I love it, I have had a stroll in the garden, in my PJ's and robe and it has all the promise of a warm day.

Today I will do the remaining jobs in the kitchen, focus my mind on the Ripple Cushion and possibly start on Mrs Frank, ahem, Ladies First, right.
While I am in the kitchen I have to ponder on the fridge freezer, it is large, over 6' tall and takes up a lot of room. I also have an under counter fridge and a chest freezer. The rental house has a fridge freezer and finding space for mine will be an issue.
I plan on locating, buying and moving into a property within 6 months, I already have a viewing list set up, and I intend to have a kitchen planned around my wants. This will in all likelihood mean the thing will not fit. The same model now costs nearly £500 new and mine is only 3 years old, do I sell it for what I can get for it or do I hang on to it and hope that I can fit it in when I finally buy.
Decisions, decisions, it is too early for my brain to function at that level. There is only one thing to do.....................Make Tea.

                   TTFN                                           Pam








16 comments:

  1. Good morning, my word you are a constant whirlwind of activity, enjoy more moments of playing hooky! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today will be less busy as it is raining, more Hooky coming up.

      Delete
  2. Wow, did you manage to have a rest at all. Hope the sale does g through after all the hard work you have put in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I managed to watch Horton hears a Who and the St Trinians films on the TV while I played with various ideas to back the Ripple Cushion.

      Delete
  3. worth hanging on to fridge/freezer you can always sell if it won't fit in your new house . We moved and got rid of extra freezer only to buy a new one after the move. out buildings are useful for storage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that you are quite right, apart from anything else I can not be dealing with people who want to haggle the price down.

      Delete
  4. We quite like "How I met you mother" and I really like 'Big Bang Theory' .
    Sounds like you've been really busy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy is my favourite character in Big Bang and I watch every episode that I can. It never fails to make me laugh, I swing between wanting to slap or cuddle Sheldon.

      Delete
  5. Just wondering what hooky time is. In the US kids play hooky from school when they don't attend when they are supposed to, but I don't think that's what you mean.
    I love the colors in your pillow top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooky time for me is when I am settled on the sofa, yarn at my side and crochet in my hands. I am happy to have the TV on and watch an eclectic mix of "chewing gum for the brain" type programs and factual documentaries.

      Delete
  6. wow you are always working hard, I am sure it will be worth it, looking forward to seeing snippets of life in your new house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be sharing my life in Wales just as I do now, I do get lots of me time to relax as well as work. I can not enjoy my rest time unless I feel that I have earned it.

      Delete
  7. Keep the freezer until you know for definate if you will need it or not, we are doing much the same as you trying to keep on top of the garden so the new owners will see it at its best, and deciding what will come and what will go. My appliances are all fitted so we have to buy new again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have decided to hang on to it, if I can not get it into the kitchen it can live in the dining room. It will only be while I look for a house to buy, a maximum of 6 months.

      Delete
  8. Love Big Bang Theory; not so keen on How I Met Your Mother. It amazes me how you manage to fit so much into your days. We've had a lovely morning out at the brocante today and I managed to get a few fabric pieces and some trims, and later I took pictures and listed some items on Ebay, including my bags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not sleep much, 5 hours is a long sleep for me, if I have been working hard I might get 7 hours but only now and again. I enjoy my rest time so much more if I have earned it and I do have a problem with sitting still at times. I hope you do well on Ebay, do you have a link on your blog?

      Delete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.