Followers

Thursday 14 August 2014

A Day of Contradictions

Weather wise it has been a funny old day, we have had cold wind, driving rain, gentle drizzle and baking sun. My washing has been in and out like a fiddlers elbow, it is now in the corner of the kitchen sulking. It may have one more trip out, the sun is beating down now.

I started my day chopping all the components for a batch of River Cottage Gluttney, Onions, Plums, Courgettes ( a gift), huge Tomatoes and Apples ( from James). I did not make a spice bag, I could not find my muslin, so I used a generous helping of dried ground spices. It looks and smells lovely and will be just right for Seasonal Gift Hampers.



My Maslin pan was getting full and I still had the sultanas to add.


Ten jars came out of the pan, 2 had already been labeled and boxed before I thought to get the camera out.

While in  Hugh mode I though I would share my version of his Banana Bread with you, I baked it yesterday. It is the first time that I have used his recipe, I normally use Nigel's Black Banana Cake recipe, well my take on it.


I made one recipe up and if I make it again I will use a smaller tin to get a deeper loaf.


I did not have any apricots so used double the quantity of sultanas, then I crunched a couple of handfuls of walnuts up and threw in. The texture is "cakey" and light, it is too fruity for my taste and I will slice and freeze and use it for puddings. Nice as it is I prefer Nigel's version.

I had to get a bit of sewing in, I have unearthed a few UFO,s and this was one of them.


This will be a project travel bag and has 3 hexy flowers around the side. I made a whole stack of these a couple of years ago for a quilt, that is another UFO, and made far too many.



I had another lurking about so popped it on the base. This is another one knocked off my 100 challenge, I may have lost count but I think I am up to 27, I will have to check back through the blog.

Reasons to be grateful.

1.  The 2 aggressive dogs next door should be going on 
Saturday.

2.  I have enough plums left to make an upside down cake with flaked and ground almonds. They go wonderfully with plums.

3.  There will only be a small shop this week.

4.  I have put no weight on.

5.  I read a library book this week which is full of new to me cupcake recipes, I have copies.


Of course number 4 also reads as I have not lost any weight, not to worry, my jeans still fit me.

The sun is shining, albeit watery so the washing will go on an airer and Ben will get another walk in the dry.

I am off before it changes its mind, again.

                 TTFN                                               Pam


2 comments:

  1. I have just made a bag with hexys on the front ! and I have also been making chutney. Clearly we live in parallel universes. ( or is that universi?)
    Gill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which ever it is, it is. The hexy flowers were the first UFO that I came to so it was a done job. I have a list of preserves that I want to make, carrot and Garlic is next up, around 15 cloves per jar so it will be a bit whiffy round here.

      Delete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.