Followers

Tuesday 29 December 2015

Suspender Alert.

My swap gift for today was a glorious blast of colour for me to play with, I will share it tomorrow, that's the first thing hanging in the air. 
The second I spotted in the Park at Beckenham, Ben had to have a walk after the journey, and so did I. Not for the same reason I hasten to assure you.



It is not the best of photo's but that is a large Mistletoe plant, not in an ancient gnarled Apple Tree but in a fairly young bog standard park tree. Without the leaves I have no idea what it is. It is just high enough to deter gatherers and the tree trunk is smooth with no low branches for climbing. There were a few berries on it, I expect the squirrels may have taken most of them.
The journey over to Kent was great, very little traffic till Hammersmith, the sun was shining out of a clear blue sky and the outside temperature was 15c. 

The journey home was a different matter, road works, accidents and sheer numbers of traffic meant that I lost 30 minutes before clearing the urban sprawl.
The M4 was also choc a block so I scooted off and came back via the M5 and skirted Ross on Wye and Monmouth. A far more pleasant drive and no queueing to pay to come back home.

Now I am off to Neath and a walk in the park with Ben, he will be delighted with the new smells.

                            TTFN                                              Pam

11 comments:

  1. I wonder why mistletoe is generally in old apple trees? Funny to think that it's actually a parasite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose that birds would be in the apple trees for the fruit and the older trees have the cracks in the bark for the mistletoe seeds to lodge in.

      Delete
  2. I've never seen mistletoe actually growing...only ever in crates or tied up in bunches. Doesn't it look lovely?
    Glad you got back safely-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the first time that I have seen it on any tree other than apple. Once I got off the M 5 the drive was fine.

      Delete
  3. Were there no scrummy men around to grab and drag under it?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately not, Ben would have objected strenuously I expect.

      Delete
  4. Glad you had a safe journey...well what a coincidence I was born, lived and worked a hop and skip from Beckenham and know it VERY well. Hope you are having take time.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Beckenham, in the short time that Francesca has lived there the high street has changed but there are still lots of little independent traders. I have started to slow down considerably, so far so good.

      Delete
  5. We often come back across the Forest of Dean and along the A40. A road we know well and a lot less tension (and spray) than a wet drive along the M4. You will glad to be tucked up indoors and doubtless crafting whilst Storm Frank does his worst outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be crafting later, first I have a hot date with the iron.

      Delete
  6. You were only 9 miles from me when you reached Monmouth!
    We have mistletoe in the trees everywhere around here- on my auntie's old apple trees as well as on some very tall trees down the road. Did you know the word mistletoe comes from the Anglo Saxon words for 'dung on a twig'! (I looked up some quiz questions for my ladies group Dec meeting). 🙂

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.