Followers

Monday 21 March 2016

A nasty incident at my front door

This morning just before 11. I left the house to pop over to a friends. I had barely gone 20 yards when there was an almighty bang behind me and screaming.
I turned to see that a motorcyclist was trapped between two cars, one parked, and obviously hurt.
I found out that I can run quite fast when needed.
I helped the young lad from the wreckage and sat him on my garden wall, blood was dripping down his leg and he was fast going into shock. Luckily Mr Muscle was in the garden and he also came running. I got him to telephone for ambulance and police and bring an armful of blankets out. The wind was whistling down from the mountain and cutting like a knife up through the village. The young lad, only 17, was shaking like an aspen leaf so I wrapped him up and then he leant into my arms like a child.
The other driver and passenger were only interested in the damage to their car, the owner of the parked car was very snippy with them and pointed out that the only real concern was the injured person.

We had the police, fire brigade and a para medic there quite quickly  but had to wait for the ambulance to come from Tumble.

Fortunately another motorcyclist came by who recognised the patient and followed him to the hospital once they left.

I have no idea whose fault it was, I do know that the car pulled out from behind a mini bus so his view of the road was restricted. There was the usual line of parked cars for 10 houses so the motor bike had the clearest line of sight and was more than half way along these when the car pulled out.

I had seen the postman waiting to pull away as there was a long stream of traffic coming down the street and when I heard the bang I thought he had pulled out too soon.

I have moaned about motorcyclists taking chances, weaving through traffic and both over and undertaking. 
I have also seen car, van and lorry drivers totally blanking bikes out.
Only by the grace of god was this young man injured rather than killed.
I have his helmet and gloves here and hope that he will be able to collect them himself at some point.

I was happy to walk Ben and then busy myself in the greenhouse once everything had been cleared away. I was not bothered at the blood, or the obviously broken tibia/fibula.
 It was not the sheer fact that a young life could have been snuffed out in that second.
What made me feel so upset was the fact that when he finally got through to his father, his comment was. "well I can't come I am at work"
If it had been my son I would have been into HR in seconds and every company that I have worked for would have said GO.

That's it for today. I have to say that I do feel better for sharing this and am sorry if I have offended anyone.

                  TTFN                                                    Pam

29 comments:

  1. Poor you and poor boy. I hope he makes a full recovery.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Pam....what a dreadful thing for you to have to deal with.....but I must say I would really like you to be there if anything like that ever happened to me.....you're brilliant and I'm sure the young man thinks so too.
    I can't imagine anyone taking offense at your post.
    Love and hugs to you-x-x-x-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam:

    Thank you for your kindness to this young man, really a boy. I was in tears after reading your column. How very sad and the comment his dad made "well I can't come I am at work" unbelievable.
    The world has gone mad.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. That young man won't forget you, Pam - especially not with a father like his. Unbelievable! What's the matter with the bloke? Any responsible loving person would have just dropped everything and ran to be with their injured relative, and any responsible caring employer would have had no problem with that. I hope you're not too upset by it all, sometimes these things only hit us later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh bless his heart, and yours! that must have been so terrifying, but good on you for thinking so quickly and , quite frankly I think I would have been most pissed off at his father's comment too. honestly, some people! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my god to the boy's father. What a bleeping bleep. Thank goodness you were there. That poor lad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we can all shift in a crisis, glad the boy lived to tell the tale, well done on helping so many people just don't want to get involved, I will never forget when I was a small girl an almighty bang right outside our door, that was a motorcycle and a car, but it was very sad the motorcyclist lost his life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How awful, hope the young man is OK after his accident. So good that you were able to help. Vee x

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sad that people care so little about others. Especially sad that his father wouldn't even leave work when his son needed him. Glad you were there to help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure your calmness helped save the day. What an awful father.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here's hoping the young man recovers quickly. Such a shame his father was not able to drop everything and go to his aid, how sad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you were there and it sounds like you were his surrogate mom for a little while. He needed that, he's only 17. Hope he comes by when he can for his stuff and you can see he's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our world can be a sad place for some. Hubby is a biker and has been knocked off his bike twice, some car drivers just don't look. At least you were able to help the young man.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor young fella, hope he soon recovers and thank goodness you were there at just the right minute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Totally understand your need to share. A very emotional experience and it helps to share. It was a good thing you and your husband were available to take care of the immediate needs. Hope the young man gets in touch to thank you. Ana USA

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank goodness you were there, Pam. So sad about the lad's father. When DD2 got knocked down by a car some years ago DH was on the first train back from London even though he'd only started his new job 3 days previously. Nothing will keep us from being with our kids when they need us.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for being there for this young man. I hope his dad sees sense and leaves work to check on him. I once stopped to help a young man who had slid into the ditch on a cold winter's night. And would you believe not one other car stopped to help. He wasn't hurt but his car was clearly stuck in the embankment and the snow, so I drove him to his soccer practice where his parents were going to meet him and they called a tow truck. They were thankful and also astounded that no one else stopped. Such a strange world now. But it's people like you Pam who do care and make it right! Hope the rest of your day went well. Sincerely, Chy

    ReplyDelete
  18. lucky you can stay calm in this kind of situation, there might be a just reason why his father couldnt leave work, I hope the young lad makes a good recovery

    ReplyDelete
  19. Poor boy - especially as his father couldn't even be bothered to go and be with him at the Hospital. Well done to you and Mr Muscle for all the help you gave him. I can't believe that the car driver and passenger were more interested in the damage to their car than that young man (who sounds like he was in the right and they were wrong to pull out). I hope he will soon be on the mend again.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well done for your calm and caring reaction, that lad was probably in a big state of shock and I can't believe how careless the other driver could be when only concerned for their car! Someone reminded me after a recent accident that a car is only metal, life is much more important. I hope you weren't too shook up by it all too xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, that was very traumatic for you and the poor lad. I hate it when people are more concerned about themselves than others. I am glad that the other car owner gave them what for. Good that you were able to help and give comfort to the boy and no doubt you prevented him going into shock. Well done! Hope you are OK now that it has all sunk in.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Poor lad, I'm sure he will always remember your kindness in his hour of need. Hope you're not too shaken.

    I know what you mean about moving when you have to, I saw an elderly man fall the other week and I was amazed at how fast I ran over there!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh dear, poor young lad, I hope he is alright. His father was horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  24. How horrible for the young man to hear that. As to the driver worrying about his car, I hope it is wrecked, regardless of who was at fault.

    ReplyDelete
  25. as a biker and the President of a Motorcycle Club I thank you from the bottom of my heart for caring for the young lad, it is refreshing to see that people still have the capacity to care. Last time I was knocked off my bike it was a hit and run and SEVERAL cars actually drove around me lying in the road before someone stopped to help, and that happened to be one of my work colleagues who admitted he probably wouldn't have stopped if it had been anyone else!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You were there at that exact moment for a reason....had you left a little sooner, he might not have made it. God bless you for coming to his rescue....he will never forget your kindness...ever. Jan

    ReplyDelete
  27. So sorry that you had to witness this, but so glad that someone as kind and caring as you was there to assist and provide some love and care. I hope that he will be OK and that you will be alright after this experience as well. Hugs to you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I honestly cant see how anyone could take offence from your post. You just did what any decent person would do. I would have been over there like a shot myself and tending to the young man concerned and would regard it as the obvious thing for any witness to do in the circumstances. Shocking that those people were only concerned about their car - particularly as one has the suspicion that they might have been the cause of the accident.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.