Followers

Wednesday 4 January 2017

The last presents.


Here are the pictures that I promised, no big surprise that they are sock related.
Two parcels of woolly deliciousness, with what is in m,y stash I have more than enough to knit my hoped for 2 pairs a month.





The Regia pairfect will possibly be my first proper pair of toe up, I will make a trial pair first though. The Cole's ZigZag is in one of my favourite colourways but I have not knitted with the Drops Fabel wool before. I like the fact that it comes in 50 g balls, no winding off half a ball to knit both socks in tandem. The plain black will make heels and toes to help stretch my multi colored yarn.


I have not knitted with either the Sirdar Heart & Sole or the Coop Socks Yeah and look forward to trying them out, the WYS does feature in my stash and I find that it knits up well.

It is strange how we all seem to find different qualities in the same yarns. At Knit and Natter yesterday I mentioned that I was not liking the Head over Heels, and had agreement from other knitters. None of us could quite put our finger on why, it just does not handle or feel comfortable to use. I love the WYS yarn but another prolific knitter finds it splitty and slippy to use. I think that the needles you use and how you knit must have a great deal to do with it.


Bedsocks for my chilly footed friend, I made 2 samples and we had a trying on session yesterday. This size was just about perfect, Drops Alaska on a size 4mm needle, 40 stitches and a very short cuff and leg. I have knitted one to the last few stitches and am almost there with it's partner. I will not finish the round toe off until she has tried them on, I then have the option of another 2 rounds or frogging back 2. I have a fair bit of this yarn in the stash and as it takes 2 x 50 gm balls for a pair I will have no odds and sods to use or bin. Cue a happy dance.
On the subject of odds and sods I was given a bag full yesterday, I have not looked through it yet, and hope to make some of my donation hats with it.
The leftover 4 ply sock yarn will possibly go into a blanket, I really don't need another but do not fancy weaving all the ends in on stripey socks. I could use the magic knot to join but am wary of them slowly coming undone.

This morning is warm and a bit damp, I believe that we should expect this for a few days. I don't mind I have plenty to keep me occupied indoors.

Bum, I just realised that my tea is cold, I am off to make another.

                  TTFN                                                  Pam


13 comments:

  1. When you show us all your lovely yarns it really makes me wish I could knot.
    Those Heart & Sole yarns are just delicious-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to a sock it to me year, trying new yarns is a delightful journey.

      Delete
  2. I love knitting socks so much our sock drawers are full, so lovely to see yours grow! I knit random stripe socks with the odds and ends and weave in the ends. As the yarn is always at least 75% wool, after a few machine washes, the sewn in ends sort of felt in anyway. I've never had them hole where the yarn joins, although I also love darning so I wouldn't mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that I tried socks, it was a post from my friend Dawn showing her latest book acquisitions that got me started.

      Delete
  3. Hi Pam. I haven't commented before, but love to read your blog. Just thought I would say, I have used Fable and heart and sole and love both. They wash and wear well, particularly Fable.
    Love Janey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that information, I have another 2 pairs of bedsocks to make and 2 second socks then it will be play time with my new yarn.

      Delete
  4. I can't knit either....not even a straight row, never mind a pair of socks! Looking forward to starting Lucy/Attic24's CAL on Friday. You choose such lovely yarns, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still sitting on the fence for that cal, I really do not need another blanket. Perhaps I should make it as a gift.

      Delete
  5. So I can knit, technically, I can even make it flat and even - still, socks! I don't know. It looks a lite scary..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving your wool, mine came today can't wait to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make me want to take knitting lessons. If I could find someone near by to teach me, I would surely try. I can't imagine wearing a pretty pair of socks, knitted by me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great lot of yarn, my days of adding to the stash are short I really need to get going on some stash busting projects.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your new yarns are wonderful, they are going to make wonderful socks.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.