Followers

Thursday 28 September 2017

Sunshine in a saucepan.

Yesterday was a busy day, sunshine meant washing pegged out and a leisurely walk with both Ben and then Rufus,

My neighbour had his weekly hospital check up so we set off for Swansea in good time. Unfortunately his former progress was reversed so he is back in a cast, rather than the boot, for a few weeks.

We chattered all the way there and back, as usual, and I was in dire need of tea by the time I walked through the doorway on my return home.

Dinner was leftovers, yummy and easy, so I spent some time going over the crumb quilt removing threads. Then I trimmed it ready for binding, I have the fabric and will get that cut and stitched later.

First I have to get the SO to the dentist, and yes he is capable of going on his own, I want to have a look round the charity shops so I am going as well.

Now for that saucepan, I really fancied some soup today but there was none in the freezer. A girl called Jack to the rescue, just about my fave cook book.

A scan through but nothing really caught my eye so I went fridge diving.

1 pepper, half green half orange, deseeded, depithed and diced. 1 red and 1 brown onion, peeled and diced. 4 fat cloves of garlic peeled and sliced. I like my garlic sliced rather than diced, it seems to almost melt away. These were really fat cloves 8 grams each.


As big as a teaspoon bowl.

Then I cleaned and sliced a leek to add another layer of flavour. I also deseeded a red chilli and chopped that fine and added to the mix.

Some carrots, 150 grams after peeling, a parsnip, 90 grams after peeling all fine diced.

I melted a couple of dollops of coconut oil in a large pan, about 2 tbsp I guess, then added all the prepped veg and sweated it gently for around 10 minutes. Threw in some spices, 2 tsp cumin, 1 tsp each of Ras el hanout, coriander and turmeric, gave it a good stir and cooked for another 2 minutes.



Then in went a drained and rinsed tin of chick peas ( I saved the juices from the tin for later) a tin of chopped tomatoes, a tbsp of tomato puree and the tomato tin full of water. Plenty of sea salt and black pepper and a tin of coconut milk.



Then just brought to simmer and cooked for about 30 minutes, tasted it and swooned. Lunch was yummylicious. No bread required.

There is plenty left for lunch tomorrow and it will keep well for about 5 days in the fridge, not that it will get 5 days.

About that juice, all 147 grams of it. I intend to use it as an egg substitute in a lemon cake. I know that you can use it for meringues, I checked with Jess, but want to try baking with it. If it is a success it will be great. If it is not we will eat it with custard, providing that it is edible.


Doesn't look very yummy yet does it?

I will let you know tomorrow.

Now I have to dash and get off to Neath.


                     TTFN                                               Pam

4 comments:

  1. Wow....I can almost smell that soup and it looks divine.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  2. The soup looks wonderful!!

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your soup sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr B would like to come live with you please, your description had his mouth watering lol. They're most of the ingredients I can't eat lol.

    Enjoy x

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.