Followers

Tuesday 23 January 2018

Rain means sewing.

Our day of bright dry weather yesterday has turned overnight into a wet dull start to today. Not to worry, I have sewing on the table and the machine is all set up with new needle and full bobbin.

I made a little progress on the dress and the lining is cut out, centre front and back seams sewn  and darts made. I will repeat with the dress fabric and then start the construction. Because this has no zip the method will be slightly different to my usual one. I will sew the shoulder seams on dress and lining then join at the neck. Then I will use the "sausage roll" method to join at the armholes before sewing side seams  and hemming. It is ages since I did this but it is a reasonably easy method and quite fast.

I have the beginnings of a cold, W was saying yesterday that he had one coming on so I think that we may have picked it up at the hospital last week. Rats, it is difficult to sew or knit when you are constantly mopping your nose. I have increased my vitamin C consumption as that usually helps in the fight.

I made bread yesterday, my go to wholemeal seeded loaf and will make another tomorrow for W. He had one last week and went through it in 2 days, we are not at the hospital till midday so I have plenty of time to get it made before we go.

Tonight,s dinner is the chilli that I made yesterday, tomorrow I am thinking of making a mushroom and chestnut tart the lazy way.
 I have puff pastry in the freezer so I will defrost it and roll out to fit a baking sheet, then score 1" in from the edge with a knife. Brush with egg wash and pile the filling inside the score line, 20 minutes in the oven will be plenty and I can steam some broccoli and roast a few halved tomatoes at the same time.

There will be enough for dinner and lunch the next day. Lovely.

It is almost time to collect Rufus and for the first time I am not keen. I feel stuffed up and achy but hopefully an hour walking in the fresh air will buck me up. Ben has been out but did not want a long walk this morning and we were back almost before we left.
He is now full of breakfast and curled up, snoring, beside me.

Now I must heave myself off the sofa and get ready for this walk, Rufus will be sitting at the door huffing, puffing and sighing deeply if I am all of 1 minute late.


                    TTFN                                                Pam




15 comments:

  1. Smudge is full of breakfast too and snoring away on the sofa. He never wants to go for a walk these days the poor old fella.

    Hope that cold goes before it can get too good a grip.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just treated it with a bowl of spicy lentil and tomato soup, I went a little too mad with the spices so calmed it down with some coconut cream.

      Delete
  2. Wholemeal seeded bread should delicious - what are the ingredients, please?
    J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use 2 parts whole meal flour to 1 part white, 1 tsp instant dried yeast, 1tsp sugar and 2 of salt to every 600 grams of flour. I add roughly 1 cup of seeds, a mix of sunflower, pumpkin and linseed in varying proportions. Around 400 ml warm water to each 600 grams of flour, sometimes more, and proceed as usual. If I use the bread maker 600 gram mix makes a good size loaf, if I make it by hand and cook in the oven I use 1800 grams of flour and make 2 large and 2 small loaves.

      Delete
  3. Hope you are feeling better. Would love to see the fabric you are using for your dress. and, yes, do tell the bread ingredients, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recipe up and a photo of the dress in today's post.

      Delete
  4. Hope you feel better soon. I have been fighting a cold/flu for a week now and no signs of improvement. Hope yours is less severe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still having lots of vitamin C but had to take some paracetamol last night. The sneezing gave me a stonking headache.

      Delete
  5. Bread sounds delish, as does the mushroom/chestnut tart. I use 600g total flour to make my bread too, usually a mix of white and stoneground wholemeal, with a couple of handfuls of seeds thrown in. Hope the colds clear off soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeded bread but it is so expensive to buy and nowhere near as good as home baked. Sometimes I use a little Rye flour of Spelt if I have it for a change.

      Delete
  6. Rain here as well so I am sewing too, I am working on a quilt for my Grandson. I love the sound of the mushroom and chestnut tart, I see that in my future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I snapped up some vac packed cooked and peeled chestnuts in Tesco and am tweaking recipes to use them. I love them and the creamy texture when mashed, in this tart I will just halve them though.

      Delete
  7. Hope you feel better very soon.

    What exactly is the "sausage roll method"? I have never heard of that.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a good tutorial on Blithe Stitches, I searched it out to refresh my memory. It gives a perfect finish to a lined dress or top with no zip.

      Delete
    2. Thanks I will give it a look see.

      God bless.

      Delete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.