Followers

Friday 22 June 2018

Technology, Friend or Foe?

I am very wary of techy stuff. I can get by on the 'puter but do not explore all the possibilities.
My little digital camera is very ancient, but has served me well.

Yesterday evening, after a prolonged gardening session, I picked it up to take a photo of the newly planted wheelbarrow. 

All that I got was "CARD LOCKED" Mmmmmmm.

Mutter a few naughty words and go back indoors. Take card out for a few minutes and replace. Card still locked. Insert into said 'puter, no probs. Put back in camera. Still locked. Put camera in case and dump carefully place on little table.

This morning get manual out, go me still having the manual 20 ish years down the line, and ......gibberish to me.

A second cup of tea and I turn to my right hand man   Google. Up comes a few sites and BINGO the solution is at my fingertips.
Now the manual had nothing on card locking but the lock switch is on the card itself and I must have moved it when I was loading the last lot of pics. All sorted now so photos later.

The camera cost £50 and it was on a special offer. It has taken thousands of photos and been round the world. I have a battery charger, just the second set of batteries in it a couple of years ago.
It was a real bargain.
I have wittered on a few times about getting an "all singing, all dancing" model but in all honesty it would be wasted upon me.

I may have a look at a back up camera, just in case, but that might be the trigger for old faithful to take early retirement and go to sleep on me.

I have been pondering the fact that although I aim for a simple life I am surrounded by technology.

There is this laptop and the camera. My breadmaker, combi oven, air fryer and programmable slow cooker.

Then there are my computerised sewing machine, overlocker etc. Even my little manual Singer is miles away from my first sewing machine, another singer but with treadle action.

The television has all sorts of functions, I watch most of my podcasts on it. I can access so many films that it would take a lifetime, if not longer, to see them. That is without Sky and the DVD player.

We got our new Yellow Pages last week and it went straight into recycling. It is far easier, and faster, to look on the internet than riffle through a book hoping to find what you need. 

As I write this my breadmaker has just started the knead sequence on a loaf that will be sliced and frozen. 
The domestic freezer, another brilliant addition to most homes. I well remember filling dozens of Kilner jars with fruit and veg to use through the winter. had I been born in the US I would doubtlessly been canning meat, fish and poultry.

I would find it to be a steep learning curve to go back to the simplicity of my childhood.  

Enough of this waffle, the day is still young. I had an early night and woke at 4:00, I did not exactly hit the floor running but I have a busy day ahead. A bit more gardening in the front and lots in the back and thanks to the beautiful weather yesterday there is a little ironing. 
I took a boot full of things to the CS yesterday and I have a boot full of garden waste to go to the tip (aka the recycling centre) today. The compost makers are full and this will all be composted by the local council.

More tea is needed so I am off to get the kettle on, a turn of the tap for water and a flick of the switch for heat. Much easier than pumping water up from the well, filling a heavy kettle and then putting it on the range.

                    TTFN                                   Pam






15 comments:

  1. My friend at at the moment is the gas log fire. No way would I go back to setting and lighting an open fire or even a pot belly stove - then have to clean it out the next day.
    Flick of the switch is the only way for me this winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do miss my log fire for the atmosphere but not the work involved. I pray that I never have to black lead a range again.

      Delete
  2. Great post ... some techno is great, some I am not so keen on. Catch up TV is much easier than when I had to programme the old video recorder though, I invariably missed the programme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to watch a complete series back to back, without the adverts. I could never program the video recorder and always ended up with hours of drivel.

      Delete
  3. So pleased your camera problem was so easily sorted. I'd not have thought of that either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google and you tube are my saviours on many occasions. When I moved into the cottage in Tydd I was quoted £30 to wire the oven in. 5 minutes with Google and it was done.

      Delete
  4. I think it's a case of having to accept technology these days, I know there are some things I just couldn't do without now. My only wish is that it wasn't taking over our lives. You only have to walk down the street and nearly every person you pass has got a phone in their hands, it drives me mad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a little clam shell phone for years, then the SO gave me an up to the minute huge mobile. It was too much, I gave it back and am undecided as the whether or not I will look for a smaller, less complicated one. I have come close to running a few people over when they step into the road, far too engrossed in their mobile.

      Delete
  5. I think for us it's a friend, we use it to enhance our lives, but we are not a slave to it. I can happily go without going online, and often I'm only catching up with blogs, my phone I do have with me loads, I keep in touch with family via what's app. I do worry how much our children and grandchildren use their phones and other media.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of it is my beat buddy, some leaves me cold. I do not understand so much and am not interested enough to learn it. I have used FB so far to keep in touch with far flung people, but that seems to be getting more "iffy" by the day.

      Delete
  6. I've always been an avid user of improving technology. Not completely apropos, but I just got (FINALLY) a beautiful stand mixer, in a glorious turquoise; I plan to put it to MUCH use when I retire the end of October. It was like a glorious, early retirement gift to myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A stand mixer makes light work of so many cooking procedures, I have made meringue by hand, and would not want to repeat the exercise. It is like an upper body workout.

      Delete
  7. I have my camera set to take one photo with flash and one without and then choose which one is best because I just can't get to grips with all the choices...lol.
    I don't mind technology but I have a serious hatred for mobile phones.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have a lesson on using mine but most of it went over my head.

      Delete
  8. This week is perhaps the first time in a very long time that I cut down on computer usage. I wasn't feeling well and by the time I had the space to play or visit on the computer I was tuckered out.

    We do rely on technology a great deal, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Some how taking my clothes down to the river (about 3 kilometers away) and hitting them against rocks does not appeal when it is 30 C out.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.