Followers

Monday 27 April 2020

Good Morning

It's a very good morning here, the air is cooler and there are light clouds in the sky. We have the promise of rain tonight and possibly a bit more over the next couple of days.
I love the sunny days but my garden needs a long cool drink, and a few days indoors wouldn't come amiss for me.

The dogs shed an incedible amount of hair and the vacuum cleaner is working overtime, as is the duster. 

I turned a blind eye over the weekend and put up the first of the climbing bean frames and the brassica tunnel.
There are still seeds to be sown, but not till the middle of May, and seedlings to be pricked out or potted on.

The roses all had a feed, there are buds showing colour, I like to feed them at least 3 times during the season.
Likewise the acid loving plants, most of them are either in flower or making new buds and a feed helps them on their way.

I want to take the time to check my preserving supplies, any new lids will need to be ordered sooner rather than later. I don't want to find myself with fruit and veg to deal with only to find that I am short of any essentials.

Spices, sugar, salt and vinegars will all need sourcing and that may take some time.

I will be making my apple cider vinegar as usual and may need a few more kilner bottles for that. I ran out just last week so need to make more this year.

I usually grow round beetroot, Boltardy, but am changing to Cylindra this year, not only do you get more from each plant but they will sit in the ground for quite a while and a late sowing extends the season.

I am growing more things in pots this year, it has doubled my growing space. 
We still have the very top section of the garden to clear, when we moved in half the garden was a midden. It had been fenced off and used as a dumping ground. 

Once we had tamed the meadow grass lawn we started on it. 3 skips of various televisions, toys and domestic appliances, a few burning sessions and we had cleared enough to put up a decent shed, 2 storage lockers ( needed for Michaels tools) and a greenhouse.

A few months on and a pad was laid for compost bins and stone slabs (uncovered in the clearing) made me a work area for potting, pottering and storage.

Now I feel ready to tackle the last patch, my potting area will move there and designated storage for MY tools will be built. The slabbed section will then house another greenhouse or possibly a small growing tunnel, time will tell.

I need to get the kettle on as it is almost tea o'clock and the dogs are sprawled on the sofa sleeping.

Have a lovely day wherever you are and stay safe.


                TTFN                                                     Pam







5 comments:

  1. Pam it's always tea o'clock, you have been busy, I have to see wasted areas in the garden, mine is so small, I have used every inch of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing well with you jobs and getting organised. I've grown cylindra they take up less room and get quite big.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you back. I have missed reading your entries.
    KJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a very good plan going on. I planted cylindrical beets for a few years and really enjoyed canning and freezing them. Much easier to do than the round ones.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of things happening in your garden.
    I hope it enjoyed the little showers that came to give it a drink.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.