Followers

Tuesday 10 October 2017

Woo Hoo and more stitchy fun.

Photo's first.


The first set of cushions.
I still have just a little of the Flamingo fabric left.
I have had it so long that I can't remember where I bought it.


The second set, a little bit more subtle use of pink here.

 Once the cushions were done and dusted I picked up the coin quilt strips again. Measure, sew, press, measure again. By George I think I've got it.



14 sets, pressed and ready for the sashing (not cut yet but next on the list)


The overflow, or reserve pile.
There are still lots of 5" strips to use up, I knew that I had cut far too many. I may cut yet more as this one will be a Christmas gift and another for a child or 2 is a possibility.

That's the sewing bit done,now for the foodie bit.

Jax asked about the topping for my veg crumble, where did it come from? From my head is the short answer.

I had the idea of  a roast veg bake, then I had some apples that were very tart. Mmmm apples and onions are a tasty mix so try them in the bake. Of course I just emptied the veg drawer and used carrots, sweet potato, butternut squash, parsnips, swede, onions and a whole head of garlic.
 Then I decided that some sort of sauce/gravy was needed, Autumn veg and Apples meant that it had to be cider. With some veg stock so the peelings were washed and boiled up with some peppercorns and a few celery seeds, oh and a couple of garlic cloves chopped up. I added some thyme leaves when I made the sauce and then added some of my crab apple and thyme jelly, just because.

The topping had to provide some protein and crunch so a thick crust of bread finely diced rather than crumbed, a scoop of oats and melted butter to bind it all together. Then I just riffled through the fridge for some grated Parmesan and a chunk of mature Orkney cheese that I diced up. 
Some pumpkin and sunflower seeds and some brown linseed for extra crunch with a good grind of pepper. I just mixed it all together and spread a thick layer over the veg and cider sauce. 30 minutes in the oven and dinner was ready, it was yummylicious and we will be having something similar again. I can not repeat it exactly as I didn't measure anything, and I may well use different ingredients next time.

Of course I made far too much so tonight we are having it again, shame.

I have a cuppa getting cold so I will slurp that and then get back to the craft room, I must get the sashing cut.

                        TTFN                                                    Pam

PS. I still have a large stock of green and blue fabric left but the pink has all but gone. I will see if I can use them with some red,it is very loud and hopefully the cool colours will tame it. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Pam :) I'm so impressed by your quilting. The cushions are lovely too. Your veg crumble sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking cushion covers. You did an excellent job.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that flamingo fabric. They have it at our Dunelm shop in a couple of different colours. Not sure what I would use it for so I haven't bought any yet.

    The topping for your veg bake sounds delicious.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.