Followers

Tuesday 9 December 2014

The Rain has arrived

This morning dawned damp, grey and misty and went downhill steadily. By 10:30 when I picked Maggie up it was a steady drizzle helped along with a stiff breeze, we only travel a few miles to Pontardawe and it was lashing down there.

In and out of Lidl and a quick trip into Farm Foods for some frozen spinach, by far the cheapest way to buy it, and we headed for home.

Ben had his second walk, we were both wrapped up, and a quick sandwich for lunch.

A friend has some scatter cushions that came with the sofa, you know the sort 14" square with a cover that does not come off for washing, and that shiny fabric that is nasty to touch. She was telling me that the covers were fraying at the seams and her hands are quite arthritic so she can not sew.
I had a quick look through the stash this afternoon and ran a pair of covers up. I wanted a fast easy make so cut a strip 14 1/2" wide by 34" long of outer and liner fabric, turned them R S Together and stitched round, leaving a small gap for turning. I clipped the corners, turned it out and pressed then stitched up the turning gap. Then folded it to make a 14" square and simply sewed down the side seams.

 
Not bad for 15 minutes work, I made the envelope folds a bit too deep, I hope she does not struggle to change it.

 
The envelope at the back, you can see how deep it is.

 
 
The side view showing the layers, I am not too keen on the look of this.
 
I had to change the measurements to get both the look that I wanted and a slightly looser fit, here it is much nicer to my mind.

 
 
 I cut the pieces 2" shorter, to resolve the envelope issue. I also cut the outer piece 2" wider and the liner 1" narrower than the first. That will gave more ease and took away the glimpse of lining from the side view.



 
The second cover on, much better I will check these for fit tomorrow and run 2 more up. This fabric was in a large bag that was given to me this year, I am slowly working through it. Much as I like it, I am happy to make something as a gift with it.
 
I have no idea what dinner will be, I am not really hungry after my sandwich at lunch time, it was granary bread and stuffed with garlic sausage.
Ben was ready for his dinner, mind you he usually is.
 
I have to return my library books tomorrow, I did take them down this morning but the librarians could not get in, the lock was jammed and the hall caretaker was not answering her phone. I hope that I can get in tomorrow and that they do not try to charge me as they were due back today. I did not even read them, I have been too busy doing other stuff and have done very little reading for a month, once I start there will be no stopping me. I am a 3 books a week reader normally.
 
I am still toying with the idea of a Kindle, one day I am convinced that it is for me, the next I am certain that I will hate it.
 Decisions.
 
I think that will do for tonight, tomorrow I want to clean my sewing machine, it has done a great deal of work and only had a quick whizz round. Naughty Pam.
 
                TTFN                                                                Pam
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


18 comments:

  1. I love my Kindle. and you can get free or very cheap books. I use it a lot when I'm travelling.but I still love a paper book. They should n't charge you for your books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother has a Kindle and would not part with it for the world, I really should get one as I have no room for more books. I have a rule 1 in, 1 out and stick to it unless I am going to read and pass on. My craft books are the exception as I regard them as reference books. I used to hoard cook books but got rid of stacks before I moved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And just think, if you get a Kindle you can use up some more stash to make a lovely cover for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You temptress you. Great thought though, I have made covers for Fran's phone and tablet, not my laptop though as it came with one.

      Delete
  4. I'm typing this on my Kindle, love it but still like real books too. It is blowing a gale up here tonight. Great cushion covers.
    Twiggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh My, I thought that you could only read books on them, what sort do you have?

      Delete
  5. I thought about a kindle, because of the storage and you can get free books, but | love a proper book.I like the fabric on the cushions, that is a project for me next year envelope cushion covers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so quick and easy to make and you can make the front as fancy or simple as you want.

      Delete
  6. I love my Kindle. The fabric you have used is lovely, I prefer envelope style covers, no snagging zips and easier to make :-)
    Its blowing a hoolie here in Yorkshire. Stay warm x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no qualms about using zips bar the cost, I know that you use a bit more fabric, but long zips are a shocking price.

      Delete
  7. I have one of the older Kindles & am slightly ashamed to say I never use it. I much prefer the feel of a real book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my fear, it would be ok for fiction but for reference I like to be able to flick back through the pages to check and refresh my memory, I would probably force a kindle into meltdown.

      Delete
  8. I've got a Kindle on my Christmas wish list. I love proper books but I wake during the night and don't want to put the light on for fear of waking Mick. I want just the e reader as it has a back light so I'll be able to use it during the night, but I bought Mick a Kindle tablet for Christmas last year and he uses that all the time. He never asked for one, I just decided to buy it for him and he loves it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Kindle Tablet forsooth, the only tablet that I understand is round and comes in a little foil pack, he he. just kidding, well almost. I did buy Francesca a tablet, but did not realise there were so many varieties of Kindles.

      Delete
  9. How kind of you to run these really lovely - despite the time frame! - cushions for your friend! I bet she loves them.
    I think we've had the kindle conversation before, haven't we? I love books, like you I can whizz through 3 a week easily normally but U too have been up to other things so have neglected all but my bedtime book for a few weeks. Kindles are handy to have in your bag for travelling, and are usually cheaper for buying some books but I wouldn't put instructional books on it as the flipping about that you do with books like this is not easy on a kindle. They certainly have their place but will never replace the lovely feel of a proper book! Lxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she does love them, I have another piece of fabric from the same collection and will make 2 more, possibly tomorrow. and Yes we have discussed this, and I have talked with a few people, ad infinitum, and am still no nearer to finding my mind and making it up. Perhaps Santa will bring me one, then I can just let it go and dive right in.

      Delete
  10. Like you, I have a deep love for books. I have a Nook that is 2 years old. It's no substitution for a book in your hands. I don't use it unless I'm traveling and then just to access the internet. There is nothing like the feel of a good book in hand. (To me, anyway.) My daughter's first novel has been published on e book. The paper copy won't be out until the end of January. (Witness Protection by Carolyn LaRoche). She even told me it would be a waste for me to grab the e book, to wait for the paper copy. When it comes out, I'm planning a give away on my blog signed by the author! ( The author is a good friend of mine! tee he.) I know I'll purchase more, but I thought to give away 5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in, I did look at the e book but I do like a real book in my hands.

      Delete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.