Followers

Friday 26 May 2017

A Grand Day Out

Yesterday was my birthday and I celebrated in the happiest way possible..

An early walk with Ben, lovely morning with no need for a cardigan it was so warm.

A gentle drive through some really pretty countryside, only a few sets of road works to spoil the view.

The point of my journey was to meet up with Chrissie from knit and natter. I arrived on time and after a brief "meet and greet" and a quick visit ( 2 cups of tea and a coffee before driving is not ideal) we set off.

After around 30 minutes of non stop chatter, which went in a flash, we arrived in Lampeter.  A small town which is a mecca for quilters, there is not only the wonderful quilt museum, and quite a few cafe,s .......but it is home to Calico Kate's. This is a rabbit warren of small rooms and twisty  staircases, piled to the rafters with  a rainbow of fabrics.

Think of Wonderland, Oz, a perfect country garden herbaceous border, rose beds and throw in a handful of eastern promise. Mix gently, sprinkle with gold and silver and stir with a magic wand, allow to settle and you will still fall short of the spectacle.
In fact the only thing that comes close is walking into a yarn shop and just drinking in the colours, this is how I feel every time that I walk into Deb's shop.

I was good, I was very good, I only came home with a metre of fabric that the lovely Chrissie pointed out to me. This was after I told her not to let me buy anything. That's what friends are for, to listen and then act in your best interests, no matter what you say.

On our return we had a cuppa and a little walk round the garden, and talking about herbaceous borders, Chrissie has a beauty in the making. Lots of plants that are melding together as they grow, studded with Aliums that make perfect exclamation marks. The chickens were coping well with being confined to quarters as per the regulations in force. The cats were being, well, cattish and her beautiful rescue dog investigated me thoroughly, decided I was of no consequence and then ignored me.

I got back home safely, if a bit hot and sticky, and took my knitting and a cold drink into the garden for a while.

A simple dinner of Chicken Kiev, sweet potato chips and salad went down well followed by a languid stroll with Ben. 

I did fit in a watering session in the back garden and the front has had a soaking this morning. Seeing what Chrissie has done to her patch has motivated me to get the finishing touches done to mine.
I did manage to persuade her that she needed, really really needed, some more strawberry plants. He he , that's at least two more pots to leave my garden. I am a bit of a hoarder I think know, but it does mean that I can spread the love freely.

At this point I realise that my tea is now stone cold and the Bin Men are making a racket outside, my cue to get the empty recycling containers into their allocated homes.

                                 TTFN                                          Pam
PS, in the middle of a heatwave I decided to knit an Aran weight hat. Then compounded the error by knitting another for the SO, no photo of that one yet.



It is a pattern from Kay Jones of the Bakery Bears, free on ravelry. It took around 70 grams and about 3 - 4 hours of knitting and telly watching. I can see my Odds and Ends box of Aran yarn disappearing fast, very fast. 

18 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a lovely Birthday, many happy returns to you :D
    Your description of the shop is so magical, I could almost see it. I'm trying to create something close in my garden, but there are never neat borders for me, it all just does as it pleases :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had the perfect birthday, Pam. Many congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday! Your day sounds like it was wonderful and the quilt shop! I don't quilt, but it still sounds like a place I wouldn't mind wandering around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, lovely lady-glad you had a good day. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday, sounds like a nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds as if your birthday was perfect.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Belated Birthday Greetings Pam-x-

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday. It sounds like you had a fab day, (there is nowhere better than Calico Kate's!) The hat? -madness in this heat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Belated Birthday wishes, sounds like a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday. Sounds like a perfect day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Belated Birthday how amazing my birthday is the 24th of May I know now why I was drawn to your blog we are so alike,I had a great birthday my darling daughter and her partner plus grandkids gave me money so I was able to replace my sewing machine which died on me and get some wool!!! lol it felt good and I have started my Flax sweater regards Edwina x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Pam for alovely day , you are great company and have so many brillant ideas. We must do it again very soon . Chrissie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy belated birthday, sounds like it was a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Belated Happy Birthday wishes Pam. So glad you had a lovely day :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday a little late Pam, sounds like you had a perfect day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday, I've just read this. Hope you had a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday Pam, may there be many more spent in such a nice fashion .

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.