Followers

Wednesday 10 September 2014

A sociable sort of day

I have had a very sociable day today and a productive one. I walked Ben this morning and joined up with another woman walking 2 little dogs, Ben was so happy playing with them. On the way back I met Jill who lives a few houses from me, she invited me back for tea this afternoon and gave me a bag of runner beans. I also picked up a good bag of Hazelnuts, I am going to try roasting and skinning some, then I will grind them and see if I can use them in place of ground almonds.

My frugal dinner was delicious last night and very colourful.



The Bulgar wheat was creamy and the hint of balsamic in the roast veg gave it a taste boost, I did have a little more on my salad, I use balsamic in lots of things. I am told that it is wonderful with strawberries, I may try it one day but I am certain that it will not beat clotted cream.
I did some shopping today, Lidl for all the main things, their bread flour is 75p against 96p in Tesco.
I did go into Tesco as well and added 2 jars of crunchy peanut butter, milk, some RTC cheese (safely grated and frozen), a bag of frozen chips to use in my air fryer and some salad that was cheaper than Lidl. My total spend was £19.92 and I am happy, all I will need at the weekend is more fresh veg and milk.
The 3 bags of sugar are for Rose Hip Jelly and some more fridge jam.



The 6 place mats are done, simple and colourful without being too bold, my old ones were stained here and there with tomato sauce and beetroot, and had been washed till they were thin, so will become cleaning cloths


No garden work today it has been very hot but the greenhouse has been bought and should be delivered tomorrow. I am off to see Maggie first thing, she wants me to alter some curtains for her. I will measure and pin then bring them home to sew.
My Sew magazine came today and I have not had a minute to open it, that is next on my list.

Time for tea, a last walk for Ben and bed I think.

              TTFN                                                Pam









10 comments:

  1. Love your place mats, my mum always made her own. I sent you an email did you receive it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just read and replied, happy days. Pam

      Delete
  2. I have to admit I havent been near my sewing machine the past couple of weeks, just making the most of the good weather, let us know how you get on with your hazlenuts we stilll have tons here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am having fun sewing bits and bobs, I have totally abandoned the purses but will finish them next week. I think it will be next week before I touch the hazelnuts as well.

      Delete
  3. Talking of balsamic vinegar have your discovered Heavenly Ice Cream in Llandeilo yet? Well worth a visit, when we went there once one of the flavours was balsamic vinegar ice cream and we thought - yeuch! But I have to say it was absolutely delicious!! Love reading your blog x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Llandeilo is on my list of places to go, The greenhouse is here now so tomorrow is full, I hope to make it one day in the next couple of weeks. I can see the balsamic would work as long as it was not sweet enough to become sickly.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely day, Pam. I'm really interested to hear how you get on with grinding the hazelnuts. They have a much punchier flavour than almonds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used ground hazelnuts in meringues and they are delicious, I want to see if they make a cake moist as almonds do. Layers of hazelnut meringue glues together with ganache is sublime.

      Delete
  5. Love your blog, but I am confused...have you bought the house you were renting? I thought you were renting and looking for a house to buy!
    You are an inspiration with all of the sewing you are getting done. I seem to be spinning my wheels. Hope to have some days in next week(except for a visit to a very large Quilt Show)...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am renting, and unless the owner decides to sell I will keep renting. I love this house, it fits me and the layout is perfect for me. I have a decent sized kitchen with a utility room, the dining/sewing room is spacious and bright and the sitting room is big enough so that it does not feel cramped but still cosy. The bedrooms are both doubles and the bathroom is large enough to hold everything that I need and still have plenty of clear floorspace. Fast forward to next year and I will not be sewing as much, my garden will be up and running and I plan on spending more time outside.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.