Followers

Sunday 21 September 2014

Some Like it Hot

I was talking about my haul of cheap seeds with neighbours and listing what I had bought. I was asked what chilli seeds I had and if I liked Scotch Bonnet, I said that I had never tried them, although I like heat I want flavour as well.

I was presented with 4 of them from the greenhouse to try.


I will be saving seeds from one of them and treating them all with respect and caution.

My new Sourdough was split and fed this morning and started to bubble immediately, it is loving the warm days.


The greenhouse is completely finished now and gleaming in the sunlight. The heat builds up in here fast.


I would have preferred safety glass but had polycarbonate in case Ben runs into it, he does chase the odd squirrel.

Today was World Peace day and Gratitude Day, well I am grateful that my day has been peaceful.
Ben and I have found another footpath, we had to climb up a very steep incline but someone has put steps in to make it easier.  I still managed to build up a fair head of steam. After following for quite a way we came to a double fence, one either side of a stream with a stile on each side. I decided that hauling Ben over these would have to wait for another day but we will do it as I want to know where it goes to.

I spent a couple of hours forking over a wide bed in the garden, it will reap the benefit of some well rotted manure tomorrow (I am reaping the benefit now and am glowing) and will be ready for my greedy squash plants next year.

I have changed my mind about the planting site for the fruit trees and will be marking out circles and getting the holes dug tomorrow, these will also get some manure.

My reasons to be grateful do not need numbering today, there are too many. I am grateful for the wonderful are that I live in, to all the many friendly people who I share it with. To those who work to keep it lovely and those whose gardens give splashes of colour and fragrance for all to enjoy. I am also grateful to all of you who read my ramblings.

My heartfelt thanks go to Michael, who battled with incomprehensible instructions to build my greenhouse after he had levelled the ground and then moved  stacks of heavy slabs of slate to build my steps.

Maggie is in line for gratitude as well for giving me a heap of seedlings from her well stocked garden.

I am off now to make tea, I am full to the gills with roast pork and all the rest that makes a good dinner. I hope you have all had as good a weekend as I have.

                     TTFN                                                Pam





12 comments:

  1. We grow lots of chillis and enjoy the flavour. Arreeeeba! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the past I have only ever grown a single variety, I decided that it was time to branch out and experiment.

      Delete
  2. I like your new greenhouse. I also know how hot it can get in there, so do hope your`s has good ventilation, otherwise your poor plants might cook to death in the heat. A green shading for one of the roof sections could also keep the heat down a few degrees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have an automatic roof went and have chosen the site so there is natural shading at the hottest time of the day. It is also extra tall as I intend to have an early teepee of French beans in there.I was very very tempted to go up to the next size but now am glad that i did not, it seems huge in there.

      Delete
  3. I think you certainly earned that cup of tea. The greenhouse looks great and I wish you luck with those scotch bonnets. DD3's BF loves his chillies and experiments with the hottest chilli sauces that he buys over the internet. I know scotch bonnets are very hot but he's had ghost chillies and apparently there's some that are even hotter than that. I like spicy food but I daren't try some of the things he has.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried some very hot chilli dishes in the past, true Thai food is searingly hot. I can cope with it but would rather have a bit less fire so that I can taste the ingredients. I can not see the logic in cooking with decent meat, fish or vegetables and then blasting all the flavour away with heat. I have been told to add a whole Scotch bonnet to my meal and then carefully remove it before serving, it may have to go into a square of muslin.

      Delete
  4. And the morning after this post, I find in my feedly a link to #ChilliPepperWeekend courtesy Thompson & Morgan: http://blog.thompson-morgan.com/gardening-news/chilli-peppers/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just popped over for a look, I saw some Prairie Fire plants in the garden center on Saturday, I may have to hunt round for one next time I am out and about. A Google search suggests that they are a good plant to overwinter and are a short lived perennial.

      Delete
  5. I have only a couple of chilli plants this year, and want to grow loads of different ones, I dry mine once harvest and bottle for use in the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to try a few different varieties, I hope to find one to dry and grind to make my own version of Cayenne Pepper and another for Paprika. I seem to reach for those very frequently.

      Delete
  6. Yes, I would certainly treat scotch bonnet seeds with respect. I once ate a whole scotch bonnet pepper. I was not a happy bunny.....xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, it brings tears to my eyes just reading about it.

      Delete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.