The Log Cabin quilt is off the frame and the binding has been machined to the front. I have made a start on hand sewing it down. A few of the quilting blogs that I follow have been about using narrow binding lately. As I come from Norfolk and our motto is "we do different" I have started using wider binding, considerably wider on the bigger quilts.
I usually cut my binding strips at 2 1/2" wide, these were cut 4".
This is where I abandoned it last night when my eyes needed to sleep.
As you can see the binding is just over half an inch wide, I have folded it over to get just a bit more on the back. Should have taken a photo I suppose. I attached it with a 1/2" seam so the binding is full, I just think that a standard width would look a little mean on such a big quilt. Perhaps if there was a border it would not matter so much.
This morning I gave an impromptu bread making lesson. My friend Jill asked me a few days ago if I would show her as the last time she tried it ended badly. I believe that the dough went in the bin closely followed by the bowl, flour and packet of yeast. I do remember that her Spaniel would not come in from the garden for a while.
It went well, I did the work while she watched and tested the dough at all stages to "get" how it should feel. Next week she will make it and I will watch, I hope that gives her the confidence to go it alone.
I find that I learn much quicker when something is demonstrated.
When I came home I whizzed round, did all the little jobs, got a load of washing done and gave Ben a bath. Then decided to dig out a WIP.
My Scrappy Trip Quilt, it has been languishing in a box for far too long, there are at least 3 more in there, I put it aside because I needed some different fabric in it. I was not about to buy specially, I only use a 2 1/2" strip of fabric in each pattern. Today I had a good idea that there were enough new scraps to make some more blocks. I needed 12, 8 are made and 4 are ready to assemble.
I will get those finished tonight and lay the whole top out, label the columns and stack them ready to sew together over the weekend. Fingers crossed that I manage to finish it, I still have 3 more quilts to get on the frame. 1 has been promised as a gift, I wanted to get some practice in on a quilt for myself.
I have emphasised that the stitching will not be totally wonderful as I am very new to this, I have to say that I am loving it though.
I really ought to get something to eat before I go back to sewing, I am fairly hungry but just do not know what to have. This week has been very much plant based, I made a batch of Hummus and had that with lots of salad and veg sticks one night. The next I made a Chickpea and Mushroom Curry and then a Sweet and Sour full of what ever veg was in the fridge.
I may settle for a poached egg on toast, I do not feel like a big meal, I do have some Hummus left so could have that later.
Anyway I am off to feed my face with something.