Followers

Wednesday 16 August 2017

It was a Time Warp

Even after checking the post dates and yesterdays date it totally passed by me that it was Tuesday. AKA Knit and natter day.

I missed it, I pottered about the house. Laundry done, line dried and ironed, kitchen sorted, some sewing prep done, quite a bit of knitting. The Miette body is done and I will be starting the first sleeve shortly. Pattern and yarn selected for a small persons sweater, and lots of little bits and bobs tidied away.

The SO found the time to put a floating shelf over the hall mirror, the baskets of hats, scarves and gloves are now there.

Dinner was a simple "Ploughmans plate", neither of us was particularly hungry and there was a fresh loaf of bread. So with a selection of cheese, homemade chutney and some tomatoes and bell peppers we had a scratch meal that was just perfect.

Tonight we are having a baked egg dish that I saw Phyllis Stokes  make. Diced bell peppers and scallions sweated in butter, tipped into a pyrex dish and raw eggs placed on top. Grated cheese and breadcrumbs scattered over and then moistened with a little beer (I used cider) and baked for 20 minutes. I have made crushed roasted garlic potatoes ready to go in the oven, I am looking forward to dinner already.

I forgot to give the recipe for Cauliflower Steaks, it isn't really a recipe, I slice the cauli though into 2" steaks and lay them in a single layer in a baking tin. Then I whisk some oil, salt and pepper and whatever spice I fancy together, last time it was smoked paprika, garlic granules and a squirt of barbecue sauce. Tip it over the steaks and turn them over in it to coat well. Then I just griddle them or pop the tray into the oven for 25 minutes or so. I have made these many times, they are good marinaded in a little Worcestershire sauce and topped with a thick cheese sauce and then baked.

We had a lovely sunny morning and early afternoon but it is raining now and looks to be set in for the night.

The radio has been playing lots of Elvis songs this week, it doesn't seem 40 years ago that he died, I may have a look on NetFlix later and watch one of his films, I enjoyed them at the time but have not seen any of them more than once.

Now I think that it is Tea o'clock, dinner is prepped for the oven and the kitchen is put to rights. All is well in my world.

Weather permitting I will be scooping up Jess and Ivy tomorrow and sliding off for a few hours.  It doesn't look very promising but we will see.

                                         TTFN                                                                    Pam




4 comments:

  1. Gosh you have been a busy bee.
    The cauliflower steaks sound very nice but I think I would go for the Ploughman's every time. I do love a good Ploughman's.
    Can you remember when they were a big thing in pubs?
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  2. The days do seem to merge together at times. Hope you make it to Knit and Natter the next time.

    Those cauliflower steaks sound very interesting.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Pam, I can't keep up with the days. Life here is so different since my husband is home more...I will never adjust! Your ploughmans plate sounds mighty good to me . Eventhe fresh bread and cheese would do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cauliflower steaks sound wonderful - I may try them tonight! Thanks for explaining how you make them.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.