I read a post from Jo of Three Stories High, and the pairing post from Christina of A Colourful Life.
They have each made a log cabin quilt, a classic design that I have made once or three times. Both took a different approach, Christina went down the control path. That is the one that I tread,careful cutting, each strip the same width and squaring up after every addition. Each block finishing within a hairs breadth of the next.
Jo's path was more relaxed, so much as to be almost horizontal.
It piqued my interest and I read the post through a second time.
I have a box of small strips and squares, along with some odd shaped scraps.
I have another of strips, mostly WoF, random fat quarters and larger scraps. When I tipped this out I found some 1/2 metre cuts that I bought a few years ago. I must have had a "put it away, anywhere" moment.
Some of this collection was won in giveaways, some I bought and much was given to me.
There are quilters out there whose idea of sheer hell is a scrap bin! So strange.
Any way, I pressed, selected and rejected, cut and pressed again and started to sew.
I used small squares and some smaller strips for the middle of the blocks.
I used the same dark red flower print in each of the blocks. I had 20 squares so made 20 blocks.
The red Flurry strip is one of my go to patterns and I think that over the years I have bought it in every colourway. The green print is a left over from the Quilt that I made for Jess last year.
A few time I started to run out of strip so added a bit on.
Almost there, 2 or 3 strips to go, the lilac print is a scrap from a dress that I made. I never throw fabric out, it all finds a home in the fullness of time. Some of the fabric that I have used is at least 15 years old.
The most recent socks, I knit them toe up, two at a time and put the Fleegle heel in. There are 4 too many stitches in the cuff soit looks a bit "frilly" here. There is another pair on the go and after the heel I decreased 4 extra stitches, they look much better so far. I did use a stretchy bind off, I may not bother on this current pair.
Yesterday was a full on garden day, it is much hotter today so we will not venture out till after 2:00.
Now I am off to my log cabin blocks, they have a strong siren call. None of the blocks are the same, I just piled the strips up and grabbed them randomly. I owe a debt of gratitude to Jo, this is so fast, the only trimming that I have done is on the edge that I am attaching the next strip to.
Having said that Christina's "ordered and maths related style" is dear to my heart as well. I will spend some time in the box for various projects.
I am aiming at a finished size around 84" by 100", it is for a double bed and I like them to hang over the edge a fair bit.
I hope that you are all enjoying the weekend, the weather is lovely just a bit on the hot side for me.