Followers

Wednesday 6 November 2013

Cloudy with no chance of meatballs.

That,s because we had them yesterday, I could not resist that, I do not watch many animated films but that one was funny.
They were very good, I used a 450 gm pack of RTC posh beef burgers from the Co op, a 600 gm pack of minced pork that was on a promotion in Mr T,s little shop, a good 2 cups of homemade wholemeal breadcrumbs. I threw 4 carrots, 3 sticks of celery, a big onion and 2 peppers into the processor and blitzed them really fine and then added 3 tbs garlic puree, 2 tbs Cajun Seasoning, salt and black pepper. I tipped that into my biggest mixing bowl and mashed the meat and breadcrumbs into it. I shaped them into golf ball size and filled 2 roasting tins with a single layer and cooked for 25 mins at 200 c. I had a load of Tomato sauce in the freezer so defrosted about 4 pints and tipped it into the tins, back into the oven for another 30 mins. They were very good with spaghetti and a sprinkle of grated cheese, there are 8 servings in the freezer for future dinners.

I did my sewing and made 12 coasters, I dragged some Christmas fabric out and made a small table topper for a swap that I am in.



I am going to use up as much of my reds and greens as I can making these, they are a quick make and use lots of  the 5" charms that I cut.



I have just noticed that this is upside down, it is the Rail Fence Block assembled to form a zig zag, as a runner or quilt it is very effective. This is a 15" square so will hold a big bowl of fruit or a Table top tree. I am going to make a set of coasters in the same fabrics for my swap partner.

I managed to do a 45 minute walk in the dry with Ben yesterday afternoon, we alternated between very bright sun and very grey gloom.




A mountain of sugar beet glistening in the sun.



Within 5 minutes the clouds rolled in and it was grey, these field were full of potatoes last week, now they are ploughed and harrowed ready for the next crop.
 The tree line on the horizon marks the 1101 road, some of the vehicles from Spalding use the back roads as a rat run and come through the village. Not so much at this time of the year as there is a lot of farm machinery on the move, I always grin when I see lorries dawdling along behind a tractor and trailer at 10 mph. They should stick to the main roads.

Reasons to be grateful.

1. A pain free night.

2. A dry, if dull, morning.

3. No laundry or ironing, more play time.

4. My bookcase, tidy, dust free and organised.

5. A new dvd from my lovely neighbour Nev, Johnny Cash in his prime. lovely.

I am off soon to walk Ben, then I am going to sort out the Christmas fabrics. I want to polish and clean all the glass downstairs today, it will help to bounce what little natural light there is about. I have put daylight tubes in my kitchen and am going to see if I can get a sewing corner set up in there. It will be tight but the light is fantastic and will help my precision work no end. 

      TTFN                                       Pam






11 comments:

  1. Meatballs sound delish xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh they were, I will add some chilli sauce next time as we like a bit more heat.

      Delete
  2. Loving those christmas coasters Pam.......the church are having a fundraiser, these may be a good seller and quick to make............a daylight tube and a sewing corner set up in your kitchen sounds like a good plan and a chance to get some serious sewing done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They go together in no time, just 5" charms for the blocks and a 5 1/2" square of fabric for the back, I did not measure the wadding, just hauled my scrap bag out and used bits that were big enough. I have started moving things round in the kitchen and it will be a squeeze but I can do it. I just have to mind out that i do not put any weight on ;-). These are for a fund raiser and the organiser would like as many as I can make and has requested those covers for the small packs of tissues as well. I made some last year and they went for £2 a go. At this rate gaining weight is a no no I will not have time to eat.

      Delete
  3. You are very productive on all fronts, Pam! The meatball sound fab and I must tell you about my mishap with the extra chilli I put in my butternut squash soup - I roasted the squash in Berbere spices not realising they were 30% chilli! Oh how we larded! But it was good - and warming! Glad you are comfortable at the moment. Lx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I find that I have gone too far with the heat I add natural yoghurt, or serve it as a side. I do like it hot but not enough to make my tonsils flame.

      Delete
  4. I've not seen that film. My fave animated film at the moment is Despicable Me and I'm waiting to watch the 2nd one. The minions are so funny and one of them happens to be called Dave which is my DH's name, so some great fun to be had with that. Those meatballs sound yummy. DH is our meatball maker, although he makes vegetarian ones with vege sausage mix in a chilli tomato sauce. Its my non-vege daughter's fave dish and the one she always requests for her birthday, and even her carnivore boyfriend will eat it. I love the coasters and table mat you've made out of your bits and pieces of fabric. I've only been sewing since the beginning of this year but have already accumulated a stash of fabric so I'm always looking for ideas to use up odds and ends. Just as with food, I hate to waste anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not tried a veg sausage mix, I do make "Glamorgan" sausages with stiff mashed potato and cheese tough and we love those, I add chopped onion and make"sausage" rolls with them as well.. I do not through ant fabric scraps away, even the sliver trimmings are kept for stuffing.

      Delete
  5. Wow Pam you are like a mini-factory!! The coasters look really lovely, I hope they sell well. Your meatballs sound great, I often make meatballs, but generally just use pork and bacon offcuts. Glad you are feeling a little brighter now - I have been waiting around for some temporary work to come my way for just over a month. Like all things it builds up very slowly and whilst it has been nice to have time at home, you cannot plan to do anything so much of the 'free' time is wasted. Of course, last week I got to a crossroads like yourself and decided to channel this time more productively and I immediately received a placement which I had to start on Monday morning! Now I have up to seven days a week work for at least four weeks and maybe up to Christmas and I am feeling disappointed that I cannot put my plan into action (and of course, I keep remembering all the things I should have done before). Take care and look forward to more delicious makes. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done on the work front, it is always feast or famine, plenty or nothing. It is that sod Murphy and his law. I make meatballs with whatever I pull from the freezer, that depends on what I find RTC, I do not pay full price if I can help it.

      Delete
  6. Am so glad you had a pain free night xxx

    You are so creative! I love the stuff you have made - I am so slow to get anything underway - so many other things stop me working :(

    I would buy those for a Christmas table and so I hpe they sell for good money, to raise funds :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.