Followers

Tuesday 26 September 2017

A matter of support, or the lack of it.

I have on the odd occasion rattled on about tights and the up and downs of finding some that fit.

This time it is the Bra that my attention is focused on. When I graduated from a "token" bra and finally stopped growing I wore a 36 B for absolutely years. During prgnancy and breastfeeding I simply wore the same size but in maternity conformation.

Then came the menopause and I ballooned up to a 38 D, at least that is what I was measured at in Magic and Sparkle. Now my Bra drawer has a selection of 36 C, 36 D, 38 C and 38 D and some of them fit perfectly. The only problem is that all the perfect fitting ones are in different sizes. To add more confusion to the issue I have bought twin packs and the same bra in 2 different colours only to find that 1 fits and 1 came from a different planet.

I have some that need the straps at full extension and some that have them hitched up to the shortest possible length, some that just fit round my back and some that are obviously built for congenital twins.

As for cup sizing, who on earth sets the standard for that. Some have room for a pair of socks each side whilst some are just a micron away from being Boa Constrictor tight.

Cost is no indicator or guarantee of fit or comfort, I have lost count of the number of bras that I have thrown away because the underwires have dug so deep into my breast bone that my flesh has bruised.
The most comfortable bra that I have came from a sale rack in Tesco, it was part of a twin pack. Needless to say the other one was tried on and consigned to the charity shop box. 

Now I am dire need of some new ones, in fact I need to replace them all. I think that a session in M & S will have to happen, at least I can try them all on rather than putting my trust in luck and the Devil.

Right now I need to think about Knit and Natter, I have socks to take (no surprises there then) and a cake to get from the fridge.

The SO had a very full on day yesterday and after stuffing hid face with ham and mustard sauce with mash and veg, he had a walloping slice of our cake with half a tub of cream. I had to applaud him.

I slipped down to see Jess yesterday and came away with a jar of her hedgerow jelly and a jar of vegan lemon and orange curd. It Is Wonderful, in fact my mouth watered as I wrote that. She very kindly gave me the recipe so that will be on the Job List for Thursday. Spoon anyone?

I hope to get my lemon drizzle cake made into a round and sandwiched together with the curd, Oh My, more mouthwatering.

I am off to dribble in a corner somewhere.

                                      TTFN                              Pam


20 comments:

  1. I find M&S a good fit, BHS I never found one to fit, fashion shops were just lace and string, the more expensive brands no better than M&S.So I stay brand loyal

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a fellow big boobed lady, I can empathise with you entirely. Ill-fitting bras are on a par with uncomfortable shoes - both make you feel absolutely miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh please don't get me started on bras....the money I have wasted on them over the years beggars belief.

    Drooling here at the mere mention of lemons. I am packing me spoon and I am on my way...lol.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  4. LoL! Been there, seen it and paid the price. It seems to be the same with every item of clothing out there - the sizing isn't consistent. Your lemon drizzle cake sounds so good. Happy knit and knatter. Jess

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first part of this post sounds like my autobra-ography. Even the twin pack from M&S which were different sizes. Today in an old M&S 36C which fits beautifully, but at a recent fitting there I was apparently 38DD. My dream is to go to Rigby and Peller, they supply the Queen's underpinnings. But bras start around £75 a time, so not my price range. What's a girl to do?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand your bra woes, the most frustrating being the twin packs, ridiculous isn't it! Lemon curd, a favourite of mine xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Pam I am sorry to hear about your bra issues !!!!! But I am afraid this comment is an utterly irrelevant one. I am trawling back and forth through your archive, trying to find when you did in fact move to Wales! No reason, except I'd like to read that bit! Could you give me a clue?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am dribbling with you, the cake did for me...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with the bra issues! It seems impossible to find more than one bra that fits well that's the same brand. I also have a drawer full of different sizes-some with extenders, some so old and comfortable that they are close to falling apart. So tempted to go without one some days!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I get a bit miffed buying bras as I need post surgery ones. have tried to adapt normal ones myself with sewing in pockets but they just don't sit right somehow. If I do buy them, usually from M & S they tend to be boring colours and never in my size 36 B. Buying expensive bras does not guarantee success. My most comfy ones have been from good old Asda. Talk of cake and lemon curd is making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Being well endowed in the bust department, I know how frustrating it is to get a comfortable well fitting bra. Normally I have to pay out for an expensive one - most of mine are in the £25 - £30 area. I don't really hold with the bra having to be like a vice around your ribs, and prefer mine to allow me to breath! and with cups that keep you in rather than spilling over the top . . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. Add me to the list of endowed women. I can't wear underwire bras so I have to look very carefully for support bras without it. Playtex and Just my size have a couple styles that I like, and I have a good sports bra that you can sleep in.
    The cake sounds wonderful. I love lemons!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi I too have bra problems .I find the French make 'Chantelle'very good ,I'm a big gril too.
    .I know they are expensive but you wear them everyday and we need to be comfortable
    M&S are ok but all are different so you need a long time to sort them out.A fitting is a good idea .Lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to say Pam...I've given up the contraption. I only wear one if I have to go out! Nothing feels right, everything is too tight, too digging-in or just too dang uncomfortable. The girls just do their own thing lol! ;) I decided in my wisdom to just buy Sports Bras Like This One. Doesn't she look happy lol? Well, they are less annoying to wear, though not as supportive, I'm a big gal too but I've gotten to the point of just not caring much anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am another one who has spent a fortune trying to find a bra that fits. I was measured recently and told I was 34DD not the 36D I was wearing. Sounded reasonable as I do have a small rib cage - I ended up wearing it with two bra extenders!! Like Rain I have given up on 'normal' bras and wear the pull on ones from JML. They are not very supportive though and give you a unibossom but they are comfortable.
    I am seriously thinking about trying to make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh I sympathise re the bras I can never get them to fit properly, unfortunately having only half a boob on one side makes it more difficult lol. I've a feeling they're designed by men.;) you made my mouth water there with the cake and your cooking discription, sounds delicious. As I type Mr B is in the kitchen cooking up his second batch of crab apple jelly. He made damson chuckny the other day, on the way home from Lincolnshire we pass a lot of farms etc who put out there fruit/veg on honesty tables. He almost pounced on the damsons lol. 3lbs makes quite a bit, it's delicious. I'm so proud of him since my health declined he's taken over the mantle of cooking preserving and baking and making a flipping good job of it too. There are perks for him too he brought marrows home last year and made marrow whiskey, he can have that I'm teetotal lol. Take care and have a great day.x

    ReplyDelete
  17. The lady at M nad S has measured me a size 34 DD..Unfortunately all the bras that actually fit are a 36. I have in my drawer. DD, E, F and a G cup. Tony called me G girl for ages when I got that one. I have some gorgeous bras that fit beautifully. They are old stock from BHS and are currently being sold in my local Boyes store for £5. I have paid huge amounts more for bras that don't fit as well as these.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just made a bra because I was so frustrated about buying bras that don't quite fit (it is surprisingly easy!). Two sizes of the same bra in a twin pack are never the same. Really annoying but I assume it is because different people sewed the bras. In tailoring, the cup size is easy to determine: it is the difference between your high bust and full bust measurements. 1 inch difference is an A, 2 inches a B etc. Only problem is that different bra manufacturers seem to develop their own standards. Not sure why. I measure a C but the M&S lady insists I am a DD or E....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Empreinte Thalia bras are the very best I've ever found and the only ones I wear now. They are horribly expensive, but last if washed carefully and are worth it. I got fitted at Rigby & Peller, but now buy online from Ample Bosom as they are significantly cheaper than R&P.

    ReplyDelete
  20. One word-Bravissimo. They fit by "eye" not tape measure. I've never looked back.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.