Followers

Saturday 30 November 2013

Saturday, All Work and a Little Play.

A busy busy time here in South Lincs. I seemed to have worked all day yesterday and again today. My big shop is done and tucked away, all done until January. I have filled up with all the boring stuff, loo rolls, washing up liquid, scouring pads, shoe polish etc etc. My favourite stick deodorant was on a good offer so I emptied the shelf, I can't be doing with roll on and will not buy anything in an aerosol can except my fabric glue. I do object to paying through the nose just so I don't offend someone elses.
I filled the flour bins, sugar jars and piled in some more dried fruit, I can not run out of mincemeat, and all the odd bits like Mulled Wine spice and hot pepper sauce. I don't mull wine but I do make a hot spiced apple drink.
I wash and cut up enough apples, of as many different varieties as I have, to just about fill my biggest pot. I take out the cores and any bruised bits, just cover them with water add a mulled wine spice bag and a few extra cloves and bring to the boil, cover and simmer till the apples are very soft. I turn off the heat and leave them covered to really let the flavours infuse. Then I strain them through a muslin lined sieve and chill the juice till I want it. It isn't bad cold but it is delish hot, I don't sweeten it but for those with a sweet tooth a little maple syrup would be perfect.

I pushed the boat out and bought some Venison, it will make 6 to 8 meals for £7, which is much more than I normally allow for meat but I love it. I offset the cost with some cooking bacon and smoked salmon trimmings and the savings made on my other shopping. I had a £10 voucher and I got 10p a litre off my petrol so I am happy.


Fran sent me this and I thought i would share it with you.

I have to go, no time for more my cooker alarm just went off.



TTFN                                    Pam

10 comments:

  1. The "cheese board" made me smile - very clever. How is Fran enjoying Living in the City?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is loving it, although she says her trains to and from work are crowded and dirty.

      Delete
  2. Yes .. good to stock up .. I've just sent an order to A Food ... all the good soup mixed and grains and pulses .. so cheap .. just great.

    Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been snowed in more than once, I like my cupboards full at this time of the year.

      Delete
  3. Well done on your Big Shop and how I chuckled over the Cheesy board!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I aim to visit that shop and there is a sausage shop near by that is quite famous, I will have to find that also.

      Delete
  4. How Cheesy is that? Would love some venison, one of my favourites and one thing I miss about Herefordshire is the game butchers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had "local" venison for ages and when I saw this I just could not and would not resist.

      Delete
  5. Brilliant sign, it is good to fill up on basics. I always have an urge to nest this time of year
    Twiggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just like to be prepared for whatever weather comes, My Granny again.

      Delete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.