Followers

Wednesday 17 January 2018

Much ado about Nothing

With apologies to the Bard, I feel that today has been all hustle and bustle with very little to show for it. I got the dogs out early as it is hospital day for W and he had an earlyish appointment. On the way home he likes to stop and have a mooch round Tesco and some days we do Home Bargains as well. 

I did pick up a few bargains, sausage meat at half price all tucked away in the freezer. Extra thick double cream, to go with chocolate, nut and ginger pudding for the SO tonight and for a Stilton sauce tomorrow. I was going to buy some shoulder steaks to pan fry and have the sauce with but there was a lovely shoulder joint much cheaper and twice the size so scooped that up as well. On getting it home it will make 3 meals and some crunchy crackling, not a healthy treat but hey ho.

There were parsnips and carrots reduced so some of those are now in the fridge, that was just the job as I used all the root veg this morning. I peeled and diced it along with an onion and 5 cloves of garlic, tossed it in a teaspoon of oil with salt and pepper and gave it 15 minutes in a hot oven, my combi oven is great for these little jobs. The into the slow cooker with some veg stock, a tin of plum tomatoes and dried herbs, a good shake of liquid smoke and lid on for the rest of the day on the low setting.
To go with it I have pulled some herb, cheese and olive scones from the freezer, I made 2 trays full a while back and tucked them away.

While I was at it I replaced the ironing board so I can resume the Make 9 on Friday. I have another hospital trip with W tomorrow and that just takes up all of my sewing time. I do get the bonus of guilt free daytime knitting though, the SO will soon be getting another pair of boot socks. I like to have socks or a hat to work on as I can chatter away with the other patients and their drivers, just like today they often run late. We had a lively session today and around 7 of us completed a crossword. The couple sitting next to me had lived in Suffolk for a few years and new my home village and Diss the town that I lived in for many years.
We were in complete agreement that Cromer is a "windy ole hole" but that the town is a gem.

The SO has just cleaned and threaded the overlocker/serger with white thread so I am all set to start the dress.

I have just time for a cuppa before braving the elements with the dogs, there were a few flakes of snow last night but it came to nothing. I feel for those who were dumped on last night I saw it on the weather report this morning.

                         TTFN                                                 Pam



8 comments:

  1. Your neighbour must think you're a treasure, Pam, taking him to hospital every week and walking his dog (Rufus belongs to him, doesn't he?). It's lovely to have such good neighbours, we're very fortunate to have some nice neighbours too. You say the choc, nut & ginger pud is for SO - how can you resist it?! (I couldn't!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As my Granny would say,"what goes round comes round" you never know what is lurking round the corner ready to jump on you. Apart from that W is a good friend, but I hope that I would be ready to help anyone who needed it. Rufus is a gorgeous dog and is Ben,s BFF. I did have a little piece of the pud but it is too sweet for me.

      Delete
  2. I don't like Stilton to eat as it is but I do like Stilton Sauce. We have it with chicken....very yummy.
    There's a lot of vegetable roasting going on in Blogland...lol, They really are tastier roasted though.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like most cheeses in any shape or form (not too keen on Edam though). I roast most of my veg when I make soup and if there is no time I dice them smaller and get them in an oiled pan on a high heat to char the edges. Roasted with a good glug of Balsamic vinegar they are transformed into food for the gods.

      Delete
  3. I have never thought of freezing unbaked pies. Must give that a try.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to have the oven on to heat them through and it only takes a few more minutes to cook them. I add on around 15 minutes to cook from frozen, I can get all the veg prepared in that time.

      Delete
  4. Some great bargains, always a bonus to get meat cheaper. I am just about to prepare a stew for the slow cooker too, along with cheese scones. There is a lot of bargain cheese around at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep a good supply of yellow sticker cheese,grated.in the freezer, it saves time and money.

      Delete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.