Followers

Sunday 7 October 2018

The sock knitting journey.

I have neglected to say Hello, Good Morning and Welcome to many new followers, I am happy to have you on board. 

Over the past weeks, even months, a few have asked me about sock knitting. 

I advise anyone who fancies having a bash to visit Winwick Mum, her blog has a wealth of information and help. There are free patterns and tutorials and she has published a book on the subject.

Sandra at the Cherry Heart Blog and Podcast has a simple pattern with stacks of help for sale on ravelry.

Ellie of the Craft House Magic Podcast has video tutorials for toe up and top down socks.

Cristi-Lael from the Relatively Crafty podcast has a very good tutorial for the Turkish cast on. 
That is the method that I use, in fact it was watching Cristi that got me knitting toe up socks.

There are many other good blogs and tutorials out there, you just need to "go fishing" and find the method and person that suits you.

This should carry a health warning, there is a (massive) group of knitters who after knitting their first pair become addicted.

(Hello, my name is Pam and I am a sock knitting addict.)

The main things that I did not learn from all of this info is the difference that you find within one weight group of yarn, and the effect that pattern has on fit.

I know that you should swatch, and if I knit socks with a new pattern then I cast on the smallest size, knit 4 rows of rib and then one pattern, I can then measure, and even try it for size on leg and foot. It doesn't take long and  frogs out before the yarn takes on the stitch shape, I hate knitting with wiggly yarn so would never buy a sock blank.

At least this is what I do after I  knitted half of a sock in a new yarn and a textured pattern only to find when trying it on the recipients foot that it was too small. All that frogging made me much more aware of yarn weight and the effect that pattern has.

My current pair are in King Cole Zig zag and it is a very plump yarn, I am using the normal amount of stitches but will need less rounds of kitting to get the length.
I have a small note book with records of socks that I have knitted. All the stitch and row counts are listed along with a yarn sample and the label.
I looked back through this and found that I had knitted a pair of socks in this yarn. They were the some of the first socks that I made and were for Francesca. I will follow that "recipe" for this pair.
I also have a recipe for her feet in several other yarns and patterns. For instance, when I use the Hermione's everyday socks pattern for Francesca it needs 4 more stitches than a lace pattern. This is because a lace pattern gives much more ease, a bit like a stretch jersey dress over a cotton one.

All these things are part of the wonderful, never ending journey through sock knitting, or any knitting come to that.

If you have a go and find yourself struggling then consider trying a different method. Some people swear by magic loop, (my method)
either one or two at a time. Some love the short circulars, I tried that and my hands cramped up.
Then there are dpns, double pointed needles, sets of 4 or 5, beloved by some and hated by the rest.
I have never tried them, I saw my Granny knit socks on them every day of her life, just about, and was horrified at the sight. All those flashing sharp points, not to mention the noise. She could drown out the Billy Cotton Band Show!

I did buy a set with the intention of trying them, I was inspired by Dan of the Bakery Bears, but so far am still a chicken. Part of the problem is that I do like to knit 2 at a time, it saves on all that row counting and perhaps having a pair with one 2 rows longer than the other. 
One reason why I went to 2 at a time, you only need to keep a check on where  in the pattern you are. 




This is my newest cast on, another pair of Strictly socks, I am knitting these singly as I can count the pattern repeats rather than rows. I get so involved in the dances that my yarn management for 2 at a time goes out the window and I end up with a rats nest.

I should add that if knitting in the round scares you silly, you can knit perfectly acceptable socks flat. There are books around, Knit your socks on straight by Alice Curtis for example. A quick search and you will find dozens of books, patterns and tutorials. I knitted a few pairs like this and then plucked up the courage to buy a circular needle. I have never looked back.

I believe that I have prattled on for far too long. If there is anything that I have left out just ask me in the comments.

                    TTFN                                              Pam



























21 comments:

  1. My name is Marlene and I am a magic loop sock knitter, and it is becoming an obsession, I know because of the balls of yarn I have added to my stash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear Marlene, you have truly jumped head first down the rabbit hole.

      Delete
  2. How kind Pam to provide all that information for potential sock knitters. I really must try the circulars as I still use dpns with the side effects you mention-clacking as it was known in our house! Happy Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am determined to try dpns, I will try them for my Christmas Eve cast on this year.

      Delete
  3. I have knitted socks in the past on two needles, I tried with four and it just scrambled my brain, I never thought about using a circular needle, just one thing bothers me a bit, shaping the heel and then knitting the foot?? I guess if I look I will find something on you tube. I did enjoy knitting them, do agree about the weight of yarn especially on some of the american patterns. I never thought of recording rows etc in a note book either......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I make a note of my rows but if the pattern is only 4 - 6 rows then I can remember where I am. I do use a ring stitch counter for longer repeats.

      Delete
  4. My name is Julie and I'm a DPN sock knitting addict. Tried the small circular and if cramps my hands. Never tried the magic loop - will investigate your links and 'maybe' I'll give it a try. Things for all the info how you do yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so want to use dpns, even if I can not get on with them. Do you kit toe up or top down?

      Delete
  5. Hello, my name is Ulvmor and I'm addicted to traditional sock knitting... I use 5 needles - just like my grandmothers did. I enjoy the simplicity of basic socks - I can knit basic socks in darkness (I have done it so I know). I have tried several methods, but no, they just are not for me, hated magic loop, couldn't get socks to fit if i started on toes... (my familys' feet are odd shaped maybe, but only the traditional heel fits perfectly) I love counting stiches and rows. I knit stripey socks, to use with wellies.
    When my children were young, the used to ask me not to read book before bedtime, but "Mum, can you come and clink". They think knitting sounds made them feeling safe. So I use only metallic needles, if not for any other reason but to make my children feel safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing, I do like the traditional heel flap and gusset and lately have been looking through my patterns. I will use that method again but first I want to attempt dpns.

      Delete
  6. I love reading your blog and your socks are beautiful. Unfortunately I can not knit nowadays but still crochet. Is it easy to crochet socks. Francoise is so lucky to have you to knit all her socks.
    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never crocheted socks, but there are many who do. I think that, just like knitting,once you find the pattern and "recipe" that works you are set.

      Delete
  7. Thanks..very helpful. I do love magic loop, but I'm a sock novice!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have to start, in many respects I am still a novice. Give me another 5 or so years and I may have earned the right to call myself a seasoned sock knitter.

      Delete
  8. Pam, will a 50gm ball of 4ply sock wool make a pair of socks for a size 7 shoe? I am planning on having a go at knitting socks on a circular needle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you knit the real short socks you might just do it but I use 56 gm for size 10 feet trainer socks. I would think that you would need to use 20gms of a contrast yarn for heels, toes and possibly cuffs. I keep all my left over yarn for this so that I can get 2 pairs from a 100gm skein of precious yarn. If you would like I could send you some, I do have rather a lot of left overs as i have not fallen down the sock yarn blanket rabbit hole.

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much Pam for your time in explaining. I am going to cast on this afternoon when the housework is done. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, will you share your progress with us?

      Delete
  10. I'm a sock novice too I've only knit 2 pairs on short circulars but love them I've been knitting lots of slippers on them but want to knit more socks the cost of the wool puts me off.carole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy Drops Fabel from Wool Warehouse,they have an excellent website. It is around £2.10 per 50gm ball but they often have it on sale for less than that. I can get 2 pairs out of 2 balls if I use contrast cuffs,heels and toes, so when I order the patterning yarn I pick out a few balls in solid colours. These are cost a bit less and I use every scrap. I have socks with red cuffs, blue heels and yellow toes, they are very jolly.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for that pam I'll have a look that sounds affordable.carole

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.