Followers

Tuesday 6 February 2018

Need or Want

The North wind did blow,
and we have got snow.
So what will the Pammy do now,
poor thing.
She will sit in the warm,
wrapped in some wool thing.
Tea at the ready,
Knitting and sewing away.
Poor thing? 
I don't think so.

I was walking Ben and really thought that I was seeing things when the odd flake or three floated past. Then I lifted my eyes towards the mountains, they were clothed in a swirl of gossamer.
That stuff was coming towards us, fast. 
Did Ben care? Of course he did not give a fig, he was enjoying the scents and taking his time. Did I care? Not really.There was no wind and the snow was that very fine soft stuff so it floated and danced to the ground. 

I have no plans for today, if I am not sneezing I will go to knit and natter. If I am still explosive it will be as my little attempt of ruining an old rhyme goes. There will be tissues as well as tea.

I am ready to take Rufus out, as long as it doesn't turn into a full on snow storm. Fingers crossed and all that jazz.

Dinner tonight will be something easy cobbled together from the fridge. The SO has not got much of an appetite, and I am not fussy what we have. I do have a meal plan of sorts, it is really a list of possible things that I can make from what we have. Nothing is set in stone and I am easily sidetracked. I saw a recipe for Corned beef Rissoles on The Frugal Factor and instantly thought, Pasties. I happen to have corned beef in the fridge and can soon make some pastry. It takes moments to chop veg and microwave it.

I quite fancy that idea, with some gravy and green veg it will make a decent dinner.

I am off now to see if Rufus is willing to venture out into the snow.


                                  TTFN                             Pam

PS. Mean Queen has a new You Tube offering,do you know the difference between need and want?  Ilona does and so do I. I know that lots of you lovely peeps do also.
But there are many, many more who do not, and live their lives in a spiral of debt and despair. Perhaps our school curriculum should include Home Economics, of the real sort. I remember learning to make Rissoles for a family using the smallest amount of meat.

                                                     Pam





18 comments:

  1. I do so agree with you about Home Economics being taught again in schools. I am an oldie so HE was part of the curriculum when I was at school and I am thankful for it. Not only did we learn how to make good food from scratch, which I still do today, but I learnt how to balance meals and to be organised in the kitchen.

    I do find it odd that these days there are cooking programs on tv daily and cookbooks are big sellers but most ordinary people still rely on ready-meals and convenience food. I'm sure HE lessons would help redress the balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learnt my HE skills at my Granny,s side. I heard on a documentary that the number of ready meals in the shops had risen directly in line with the amount of cookery books and programs on TV.

      Delete
  2. Ha, loved your little PS rant at the end of this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing nicer than being in the warm while the snow falls and wind blows except perhaps basking in the sun. That feels a long time away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not mind the weather really, but I am looking forward to the spring. The odd nice day that we get is so tantalising.

      Delete
  4. We've just had about two minutes of snow and it looks like that is our lot for now.
    Corned beef pasties sound wonderful. I always have a tin of corned beef in the fridge so they may have to feature on my menu sometime soon. Isn't it funny how you forget about things like that until someone mentions them.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to have either cold meat with bubble and squeak or corned beef pasties for tea on Monday,wash day.

      Delete
  5. A little snow here too a few flakes now and again. I have some braising beef and vegetables in the slow cooker but I could quite fancy cornbeef pasties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nursery food is the ultimate comfort food.

      Delete
  6. It has snowed here all day . It looks beautiful but cold. I have some frozen pastry in the feezer so it might be meat pies for tea one night this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a one pot wonder pie, all the meat and veg under a crust. little washing up and lots of flavour.

      Delete
  7. I agree with you on the subject of Home Economics.

    Lightly snowing here as well so I will be curled up here at home with some hot chocolate (or perhaps a pot of tea) and either knitting or sewing merrily away.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband's brother is married to a Welsh lads and she went into a bakery last time they visited and asked for a corned beef pasty. The girl said they didn't sell them. My SiL said this is Gregg's and Gregg's sell corned beef pasties. The girl said not in this part of the country I'm affraid. She was gutted. I must try them one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In some of the shops here they sell "Cutting Pie" which is either minced beef or corned beef with veg. I almost did the dying fly when I first saw the label, these pies are huge. You couldn't pick one up, never mind eat it, without cutting it.

      Delete
  9. I used to love cookery lessons at school. If it was something baked, I ate most of it on the school bus on the way home. We had a flurry of snow here, but it's stopped now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I quite liked them but felt that I had a better teacher at home.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.