Followers

Monday 27 January 2014

Quilt in a Day, Very Nearly.

A warm welcome to 2 new followers, Jozzie and Caryl W, I hope you find something to interest you.
An apology to those who commented yesterday, I like to reply to each but Blogger had other ideas, words were transposed and replies put in the wrong place so I threw the towel in.

Another Announcement.



Quilt top number 3 is finished. I was reading my new book from  Camille, of Bonnie and Camille, and I saw her "big block" version of Churn Dash. It has taken an old block and made it thoroughly modern, I fell in love there and then.
I slept on it and remembered that I had some Savanna Bop in my stash, I bought it ages ago at a really good price. So I made a block and used some bright Turquoise for a bold splash, then I made another with a different print, they looked so good together that I made 2 more and a quilt was born.
I have 2 more prints from the collection and a plan is fermenting for number 4. 
There is a great deal of white space in this and I am thinking of using a bold cotton for the quilting or a little applique here and there.
If I had only spent the day sewing I could have made 2 like this with no problem, I normally make quilts with lots of small pieces so this was very new to me. I would not want to make every quilt with big blocks but a fast finish gives you a feel good glow.

Reasons to be grateful.

1. One step nearer to my donated quilt total.

2. A gift of an old Randolph Scott film on DVD.

3. Sunshine this afternoon.

4. The viral video from BBC Radio 2 today is brilliant, I have only watched it 3 times.

5. I thought that I had to have an external door replaced, but the nice man who came out to look at it found that it was any easy fix and charged me £10.

I don't watch the Radio 2 things usually but was listening to Steve Wright and he played the sound track, I logged on to Facebook and watched it and watched it and watched it. Ben was watching as well but was not impressed.

An easy dinner tonight, minced beef cobbler with roast root veg. At less than 90p a serving and very tasty I am happy, and very full.

I may have a day off sewing tomorrow, I have sewed my way through 3 quilt tops and want to do some other bits and bobs before I start the 4th. I also want to vacuum all the threads up, they have trailed all over the cottage, it is also time I washed all the paintwork down. I do not like housework but equally I do not like being in a muddle.

In my quest to learn to crochet I have bought a set of hooks from up the Amazon, I now have to get some yarn, I have a "how to" book and have found some tutorials on You tube. I will not give in, I have seen some truly gorgeous crochet on some of my blog list and I want to do that.

Oh My, it is gone 7 and the sink is full of dishes, I need to shake my tail feathers.
       TTFN                                                                  Pam



















17 comments:

  1. Beware the lure of crochet. I taught myself about 18 months ago, and have not been able to put it down since!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well, it may mean that I have to be firm about allocating time to each project. If I can master this is will be worth it, crochet is the only way for me as I can not hold the weight of knitting.

      Delete
  2. hello pam , i love your quilts , i would love to be able to crochet too , i might have a go soon , i will see how you get on ,.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep you informed, I have ordered my hooks and will be visiting the wool shop this weekend.

      Delete
  3. Hi Pam, I am a knitter and have tried and failed to crochet! My ma in law tried, I have a book to follow! I will not be beaten but my fingers feel all alien without needles!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed, well only so to speak. I am determined to do this.

      Delete
  4. I've just taught my seven year old son to crochet, if he can do it I'm sure you can! It's good to have a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I accept the challenge, if I succeed I will be a happy bunny.

      Delete
  5. I love to knit and crochet almost as much as quilting! I find crochet easier than knitting because you only have to manage one stitch at a time;) I usually have a project in each beside my chair and do a bit each day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the welcome. I appreciate it!

    The main thing to do when you're learning to crochet is to RELAX. Keep your stitches fairly loose and easy to work on. I'm sure you'll do fine, one row at a time, and be patient!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have bought a book as well, Cute & Easy Crochet by Nicki Trench.It has some very clear illustrations and there are many You Tube videos. I am sure that I will be sharing the journey, failures and hopefully successes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will be doing much the same but without the knitting, I will have to keep to small projects for a while to build up my confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blogger has decided to put my replies where ever it likes, I can not argue, I have only had 1 cup of tea so far.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll be interested to see how you get on with the crocheting. I've tried many times to teach myself from books, videos etc, but I have a real problem with the manner of holding the yarn in the left hand and the hook in the right. I can understand how its supposed to work, but my coordination is so bad I can't seem to get my fingers to cooperate. Give me two knitting needles and wool and I have no problems. I would love to be able to crochet as granny square blankets are so pretty. I'm thinking of going to a workshop at the same place I learned to use my sewing machine in the hope that having an actual person show me how might do the trick, but it's on a Thursday morning and I would have to take time off from my voluteering.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with learning to crochet, Like you I cant knit anymore because of arthritis, So I taught myself to chrochet 6 months ago via U Tube(its great to pause and see the hook in its position. A blog that has helped me a lot for grannie square patterns etc is Attic 24, her tutorials are awesome! As another blogger says beware it is addictive, in the last 6 monts I done 2 cushion covers and am on my third blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Helen and Shaz, I am determined to master crochet, if I find that I am struggling there is someone at my LQS who has been known to come to the rescue.I can handle addictive, I am a fabraholic, a chocoholic and a bookworm, not forgetting the baking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had a giveaway in December and gave the book "Cute & Easy crochet" by Nikki French as the gift. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The quilt top is lovely Pam.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.