Followers

Friday 10 June 2016

Lapping up colour while I can.

My Peony has almost opened both its flower buds, I love the colour but was expecting it to be double. I have two that were a gift and the giver had bought doubles to her knowledge. Never mind I will have a look for some in the autumn.


I do love this pink, it looks so good against the stone wall.


My purple roses are giving me a great show, and the perfume wafts around the garden.


The lavender is showing colour as well and adding it's fragrance to the air. The Penstemons are putting on lots  of new growth. I am hoping for a good display from them as well. I did cut them back by 2/3rds last year as they were a bit leggy.

We had rain forecast for today and have had about 20 spots. I wouldn't mind a full nights rain as it takes me almost 2 hours to go round both front and back. Then there is the greenhouse and all the ericacious plants that get rainwater only.
I am not moaning but it is a big chunk out of the day that I could be weeding or even knitting or sewing in.

Fran rang last night, she is being head hunted and has an interview next week. She is quite interested so I will keep my fingers crossed for her. Luckily it is in the morning so I won't have to knit with crossed fingers in the afternoon. 
I have done some research into brunescent cataracts and it is not pretty reading. 
I can only take it as it comes and make the most of my sight now. I love colour and the thought of my vision turning sepia is a bit off putting but I have a plan. 
I will turn to monochrome and knit in black and white, a smart houndstooth jacket a la Jackie Kennedy, or a cropped short sleeved jumper a la Audrey Hepburn have lots of appeal. I can go down the same route with sewing and perhaps use a solid bright rather than black.
I know that I can trust my local fabric shop and wool shop to help with choices.
At any rate I will try to remain positive, after all this will not happen overnight. I do not need another sight test for 18 months.
Losing my sight has always been my worst nightmare, having said that I can make my way round my house in total darkness with no problems. As long as I do not put my specs on, then I am lost.

Now I am off outside to do a little judicious weeding.

                  TTFN                                                  Pam


17 comments:

  1. Like you, losing my sight would be my worst nightmare! I'm diabetic and am trying my damned hardest to get it under control. I love peonies - one of my favourite flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that type 2 diabetes can sometimes be controlled by diet alone. I also know that sticking to any diet is not easy or simple. My son was on a special diet between transplants and it was very hard planning tempting meals within the restrictions, even with my training.

      Delete
  2. Pam you are such a breathe of fresh air, putting a positive on everything. You always make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will they be able to operate Pam? I had my first cataract surgery when I was 43, but mine were posterior subcapsular. The first appeared and developed so quickly that I was blind in that eye within a couple of months - I couldn't see my hand in front of my face with that eye. In the 6 weeks from it being found until it was operated on I had developed another in the other eye, but that was much slower growing. I have since had the first one go cloudy again, so a series of holes were lasered into it which solved the problem. I was warned it would probably happen due to being comparatively young when I had the surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The type of cataracts that I have are brunescent, I looked it up and it seemed complicated. The one on my right is is fairly advanced but the left is no where near as developed. They can be removed with lens replacement surgery, once developed sufficiently. It is preferable to do both together so it may mean losing my sight on one side for a while. Time will tell and until that point I will carry on regardless.

      Delete
    2. Good news if you can have lens replacements - thats what I had done. I could see colours much better once I had the surgery - they were so much more vivid! The upside to having had them done so young is that I will never need new glasses unless I fancy some new ones as once you have lens replacements your prescription doesn't change.

      Delete
  4. So with you Pam..sight to me is so important and something I used to take for granted..I will explain when I see you next, ... a re test in 18 months is very encouraging I think.... Love the roses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need another meeting, I have a stash of goodies for your daughter, and will find something for the son and heir, fair shares all round. If the left eye speeds up then my tests will get progressively closer together. My roses are lovely, I first heard of them from Rachel Radiostar at Eternally 28 and then found them online.

      Delete
    2. I was just reading through your post and comments, saw your rose and smiled. Mine has gone mad this year. As its in the front everyone and I mean everyone stops to look admire and sniff! Better yet, the sticks I took when pruning, are growing into new roses!!

      Delete
  5. I don't know if I would be quite so calm as you at being given that news Pam. Mind you I am at that age where every time I go for my check up something else has either dropped off, gone south or gone manky and I do seem to take it in my stride.
    Love your peony. I am going to be looking for some like the ones they use in bouquets.-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been to the edge already and this is chicken feed. I refuse to give in and will carry on as normal for as long as possible. I like the big blowsy doubles best and aim to have at least two for next year.

      Delete
  6. my lavender is just starting to bloom, with you on the watering front we have been lacking in the wet stuff although last night we had some rain after I did the watering, I would hate to lose my sight I had laser eye treatment some years ago best thing I ever did, I hope yours is very very slow progression and when you need surgery it wont take long :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No watering for me tonight, bit I expect tomorrow will see me sloping around with hose and can. The drizzle has gone and the sun is shining. The optician said that the op is a matter of minutes and I will be in and out in around 4 hours. Bring it on.

      Delete
  7. I just wanted to say, Be Brave. My daughter had her eyes done and love it. Doesn't have to wear glasses. My hubby had his done too. He loves how everything is so bright. It's an easy operation here in the USA. Good Luck-Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elaine, honestly I hope they grow like weeds and I can get it dealt with fast.

      Delete
  8. Pam, I am so sorry to read about your eyes. I'll be reading up on these cataracts. However I know they won't stop you and you'll be fine in the end! I'm just catching up backwards through your blog X

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.