Followers

Monday 30 May 2016

A Birthday Number SIX

Yesterday was Junior's 6th birthday, over the past few months he has changed from a little boy into a real little man. 
His school work has come on in leaps and bounds, he consistently comes top of class in Welsh and maths. He is very proficient in all physical activities and shows great promise in gymnastics. His general behaviour has improved dramatically now that he has this outlet for his super charged energy levels. 
The fact that there is a large trampoline, swing set and slide in the garden helps with that also. I love my visits but know that if it is fine I will be bouncing, sliding and "push me Nanny" at the swings. If I can not face it I wear a skirt, then the bouncing does not happen.
Unusually for a boy Junior is very clothes concious, he adores new things and birthday and Christmas means new clothes from me. He is an awkward fit as although quite tall he is as skinny as a rake, due to all that energy. Tesco clothes are a decent fit for him, and the prices are very reasonable, and they often have a sale rail which of course I riffle through on every visit.
There was no big party this year, the cost of hiring a hall and the hassle of transporting food (safely) made James and Cerys think outside the box. 
They arranged the same treat that I used to do for my son. A handful of friends, a movie at the cinema ( in Cardigan) then back to the house for games and a tea. It went down very well, parents popped in and out, the noise levels reached epic heights and the funometer went off the scale.

I took the little boy quilt for Leo and a beaded headband and girlie perfume for Kaitlyn. At one point she climbed onto my lap and whispered that she would like My Little Ponies for her birthday in August. No problem there, I will also be on the lookout for some dressing up things. Feather Boas, fancy hats, floaty scarves, strings of beads and so on. Along with her cousin Faith she loves to dress up and they cobble together some really BoHo outfits. 

All in all I had a good day, it is only spoilt by the hour and a half drive home. It does not matter which way I go that is the average time  B U T  I chose the distance deliberately, near enough to make regular visits possible and far enough that I am not a convenient baby sitter/parking place. I saw my younger sister do this to our parents and in the end it breeds resentment and arguments.

Today Fran goes back so I will potter in the garden for a little while and then once her train has gone I aim to have a little visit to The Works. I have started sewing strips together for a postage stamp quilt, this will not be tiny squares but rectangles cut at 2 1/2" by 5". I have cut  yardage of a white on white for half the squares. The remainder are cut from the fat quarters and some yardage, at the same time I cut 3" strips for a wall hanging. That will come later and I will share. 
For now I am off outside.


                             TTFN                                        Pam






5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day and you are well loved! I'm already outside though I'm sat watching the garden grow as they say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww I missed doing a party at the village hall for Ruby this year. DDIL wasn't up to it with being very pregnant.
    Sounds like your little fella had a fab time-x-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Pam! Sounds like a good birthday for Junior. I totally agree about the distance between and not being a built-in babysitter. It is the same way here. I have to drive an hour and a half to see my grandchildren. I love them to death but good grief, I could not babysit all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great Birthday event, sensible not to be too convenient.

    ReplyDelete
  5. all boys should be encouraged to take an interest in gymnastics, it builds immense strength and balance and anyone that thinks it is "girly" can always be silenced with a badass backflip!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.