Followers

Saturday 25 May 2019

What is it?

Is it a Counterpane?
Is it a Throw?
Is it a Bedspread?
Who knows?
Who cares?
Not I.
For what it is is Finished. Tah Dah, Woo Hoo and general all round jubilation.
It is quite big, some might say mahoosive.
I can tell you that it took 690 charm squares plus yardage that I did not bother to measure but probably over 2 mtrs.
while I chain pieced I sewed 108 charms, as leaders and enders, into pairs, ready for a future project AND a further 72 charms into 4 patch blocks ready to make cushion covers.
I believe that makes a grand total of 870 charm squares. 
Mostly from scrap boxes, I did cut a few from stash fabric, mainly the solids/read as solids.
I am  happy bunny.
The top is completely wonky, the very first time that I have not sliver trimmed my work. Most of those charms were given to me and were either just over or just under the 5". I just sewed and eased and let it go.




It reaches the carpet both sides and bottom.

The back, well that is a horse of a different colour. I did trim and square up. I had thought of making it into another quilt top but decided to bite the bullet and make a reversible whatever.



Lots of cream not beige, defo not beige, makes it look even bigger.



There is a wide range of both colours and prints, very scrappy, lovely.

There is no wadding in this, it is a summer thingy and with a top sheet will be perfectly adequate.
I have made 2 of these previously and use them in the hot weather.
This one though is destined to be a sort of dust cover for Francesca's bed. She is not here nearly as often as we would both like and when she leaves after a visit I change her bed. I like it to be made ready, the window is open most of the time and dust does filter through the nets. This thing will cover her bed and keep it fresh.
In the words of Pa Larkin, just perfick.
No, not perfect in construction, all done flying blind and planning nothing.
I am trying to ease up on the controlling part of me, it is not easy though.
All that matters to me is that Francesca likes it, I like it and it has gobbled up an amazing amount of stash.

(there may have to be another using strips)

Now I am off to enjoy my birthday, I will be mainly in the garden just pottering and playing with Herbie. 

Have a lovely weekend, where ever you are.

                             TTFN                                  Pam

21 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Pam, have a wonderful me day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your quilt! I think I prefer random patches to an actual design.

    Happy Birthday for today! So many bloggers have birthdays around now - must be something in the stars. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BURTHDAY PAM has a nice day. I love your patchwork. I am hoping to get back soon after my stroke. I did lots of quilts for the charity Project Linus and so miss it.
    Have a nice weekend.
    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday. Whatever it is called it is perfect for what you want it for. Such a good idea and a great way to use stash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful Pam. Have a happy day tricia xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your whatever you call it is beautiful.
    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy your day.

    The quilt looks lovely.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea to use the new quilt as a dust cover for the bed. It would be perfect as a light cover with a sheet for the summer. Maybe then I would keep the covers on all night, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it. I love patchwork quilts and/or covers. perfect for the summer nights.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks great! What a good idea for summer cover! I am going to remember that idea! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday Pam. What a lovely quilt.You are so talented.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. its beautiful, you are very clever

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow that is enormous. It would fit a CA King bed for certain. Love lightweight quilts. I have one that is an Outlander quilt, all the book covers and Jamie and Claire pictures. Enjoy your holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a beautiful counterpane!! Both sides are lovely! Congratulations on completing something useful And beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ......and a very Happy Birthday from me too ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Belated Happy Birthday wishes.

    I love you gorgeous throw.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is gorgeous. It never occurred to me to not use wadding... opens up a whole world of possibilities

    ReplyDelete
  18. Belated Happy Birthday wishes to you dear Pam, I hope you enjoyed a lovely day. We had a birthday party this weekend too as my granddaughter celebrated her 8th birthday.
    The bed cover is perfick (got to love Pa Larkin and the Darling Buds) x

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.