Followers

Tuesday 26 December 2017

Seconds away, Round 2



Round 2 of the celebrations is known as Boxing Day from a tradition started in the days of BIG houses with a multitude of staff.  Just about every item used in the household would be delivered from a local source. On December  26th all of these tradespeople would go up to the big houses and receive a Christmas Box, another name for a gift, usually cash. My Grandmother remembered that happening when she was a young woman, I believe that the tradition died a natural death as so many small businesses began to close down, or move to the towns.

I had a good long sleep last night, in bed by 10:00 and asleep by 9:55. I hit the ground running just before 6:00 feeling full of energy. Rufus managed to lift one eyelid for a split second but Ben got off his bed and left the room, just in case I had any mad idea for an early walk.
The only thing on my mind was tea, lots of it.

Anyhow, tea was made and drunk, a quick scan of the fridges and a few things shuffled around.Then I realised that Ben was missing in action, mmmm. I checked the ground floor, nothing. Fran's door was closed as was the bathroom door. My door, however, was slightly ajar. I carefully pushed it open to see this.




Both of them snoring, lazy Boys,but not for long!



Those sprouts turn up everywhere.



My Christmas Eve cast on, and


the pattern. It should be knit in pieces and then sewn up but I have cast on back and both sides together. I will divide at the armholes but still knit it all together, simply to make sure that all the shaping happens as it should. I have had a couple of OOOPS moments in the past.




This is the mantle scarf that I made for W.


The scallops continue round the corners, they are 4" deep so that lights could be fitted behind. My first attempt and a make it up as you go pattern, I am so happy to say that it fitted perfectly.


The SO is having fun with this, I will have to shuffle the cabinet contents around to find a new home once it is finished.

The time has come, The Walrus said........no cabbages and kings here, just the need for another cuppa and get the baked cheesecake into the fridge to chill. The raspberry coulis is already in there, pudding tonight after Maple Roasted Gammon, garlicky potatoes and possibly coleslaw, I have a white and a red cabbage ready to shred. I have a new sauce to try rather than Cumberland and will tell all tomorrow.

                          TTFN                                             Pam.

PS I saw a sneaky trailer from next years new Mamma Mia film, looks good. I have made a note to see it.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks tor showing us the mantle scarf-it looks just the thing for my fireplace. I watched the MM trailer too and think I'll enjoy it when it comes out next summer. I really like the cardi pattern and your choice of colour of yarn. Happy knitting. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boxing day is celebrated here as well. Thank goodness a person does not have to make a big meal..... We ate way too much yesterday.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever idea to size the scallops to accommodate lights. Enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL to the Brussel Sprouts Christmas crackers! I was given a box of chocolate brussel sprouts! Should be interesting!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.