Followers

Wednesday 7 August 2013

A Little Light Relief.

First a quick recap.
My visit to the food bank was good and bad. The good part was seeing how controlled and well organised it is, how dedicated the people who run it are and how friendly and approachable everybody is.
The bad part is not really bad I suppose, there were not many people coming in to pick up a food supply and I did really expect to see it busy if not teeming. When I queried this I was told that it does vary but that Friday is usually the busiest day.
The proceeds of Saturdays collection at Asda was unpacked and it was quite impressive, over 1200 items were collected.

My last two posts were a bit "shout it from the rooftops" so today I am back to my true love, sewing, well one of them anyway. I am a bit fickle when it comes to play time.

You may have noticed that i have a Sew Many Ways button on my blog page, this is a blog that I have followed for ages and find it very helpful. There are lots of tutorials and tips to help with a myriad of problems.
I have joined in a 12 1/2 inch patchwork block swap and there just happens to be a BOM happening on the blog that fits the bill, so I had a little look see.
The swap that I am in calls for a block in Aqua, Grey and Orange, mmmmmmmmmmm I do not have much Grey or Orange, so a little trip to Button Up and Stitch was called for. Then I had a proper look through my stash, which included opening up Charm Packs, Jelly Rolls and Layer cakes, I even found a scrap bag that  I had tucked away, it was amazing just how much I came up with.
This is what I found in Wisbech.



Not bad at all, don't you love those little Flamingos, too cute for words. Sorry, what was that, Oh yes the Pirates he he, not much orange there. They sort of snuck in ready for the Eye Spy Quilt that I am planning.

Then I started cutting, stitching and pressing. Along with some cussin' and whingeing when I went too fast and had to unpick ( shh, I sewed some the wrong way round)


I made this block and I do not like it at all, now I never thought that I would utter these words..............................It Is Too Scrappy. There are also some thick bits to sew through and the Toyota did not like it. I am going to redo it with the Aqua Flamingos, the Orange  Feathers and a very pale grey, which I forgot to snap, so you will see that later.
A bonus from this block is a little stack of  2 1/2" HST blocks that just need trimming.

These get used in the next BOM which is Shoofly, it calls for these plus light and dark 2 1/2" squares.
A few of these and then I "got clever"


I sewed some into strip sets, layed them out in blocks and Oh No Not Again.....Too Scrappy. But they will not be wasted, I have a cunning plan...............I am sure I do, I am just not sure what it is yet. Suggestions on a postcard to ....Please.


Just to sooth my troubled brow i had a quick dip into Tula Pink's book 100 Modern Quilt Blocks and threw these together, they will be sewn into the finished blocks the next time I sew. I like these.

To help me regain my Calmer/Karma I had a tidy up and sort out.



4 ziploc  bags with 1, the left over strip sets. 2, the strips from The Hug Quilt.3, Some Scrappy Blocks and
lastly some smaller bits and bobs, see the tiny pinwheel.

I am off to walk Ben before feeding him and then a spot of baking is called for.

Reasons to be grateful.

1. Another fine day.

2. Michael settled into his new job role.

3. Francesca has negotiated a very good salary with her new job.

4. Our plans for next year are just about in place.

5. Michael's appointment at the hospital to have his wisdom tooth remove has not been cancelled.

It is OMG look at the time time so            TTFN    Pam


2 comments:

  1. Pam, I really like what you did. It doesnt look scrappy to me.I love the fabric you get, I really struggle to find nice fabric up here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good to me too :)
    I made a baby quilt top yesterday using the squares I got from you along with some pastel strips.I was really happy how it turned out.I will post a pic on the blog once it is quilted up.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.