Followers

Wednesday 21 August 2013

Waste Not Wednesday

I am on a use it up mission, the freezers are full, the larder is really well stocked and the season of pickles and chutney is just around the corner, Francesca is looking at moving to London in the next few weeks so I need to find room to store food from the garden and  the preserves that I intend to make, I will also need as much money as I can save to put towards the list of needs that will arise from the London move.

I fancied something different  for dinner tonight so I had a rootle through the fridge and larder. This is what I came up with.

I found this from my last Approved Food delivery, I do not make a habit of using mixes but they are handy for holidays, we self cater, I can take a few of these instead of the contents of my spice shelves.









1 1/2 peppers, 1/2 an onion and a lonely carrot from the fridge. These were diced fairly finely and added to the mix.












I pack of  cooking bacon chops from Mr S. cubed and soaked in cold water for an hour, I did not want this salty as I was using a mix with salt.











Here it is, in the cook in bag supplied, I followed the directions but instead of using water I used cider, I always have some in the fridge it goes in nearly every batch of bread that I make. It does go flat but that makes no difference.










Dinner is served, plenty for three, I could have made an extra serving but there is still some of the pack of bacon in the fridge to be used up before Saturday.

I peeled and cut up 3 potatoes that had just started to sprout, tossed them in a little salt, pepper and a teaspoon of olive oil, they roasted on the top self while the bacon simmered away below.

1/4 of a cabbage that cost 20 p, and the same amount of a cauli that cost 30 p.


I have not costed this out but I would not be far out at £2 , the most expensive component was the bacon  for 80 p.

That gives me a nice warm glow in the tummy and the budget.

reasons to be grateful.

1. countdown to Wales has begun.

2. Lovely friends from my home village will be staying in the cottage, a little break away for them and garden care taking for free.

3.We are going to look for another rescue dog while in Wales, a buddy for Ben.

4. My grocery box is packed, I hate having to shop on my holiday.

5. The laundry is done, dried and ironed. woo hoo.

Two more shifts at work, an early night on Friday and off early morning Saturday. Debbie and David are coming on Friday afternoon so we can have a few hours getting in the holiday mood with them. They will stay on for 2 days when we get back so we can have a real catch up session. They are looking to move into the area so will be house hunting for the week, they are in a strong position, their house is sold and they are staying with  Davids Mum. She was a Dinner Lady when I was at primary school and her Mum went to school with my Granny, we all go back a long way.

Michael has done the washing up and Ben has been walked and fed, so..............TTFN     Pam

16 comments:

  1. Your meal looks lovely, those packs of bacon are really versatile and lovely and cheap :-)

    I hope you have a wonderful holiday in Wales, its one of my favourite places, I have even picked a house for when I win the lottery lol

    I was a dinner lady at our local comprehensive for a while, the kids called us dinner bags and they thought we were paid a £5 bonus for everyone we caught smoking on the field!

    Take Care
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dinner was good and really would have fed 4 at 50 p a head. Pudding was a handful of the cherry plums free.

      Delete
  2. Have a nice break ... and I hope you find a friend for Ben.

    Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my fingers are crossed, there is a rescue center in the area , the shop is on the high street in Cardigan.

      Delete
  3. Enjoy your time away, great idea having someone staying and looking after the garden while you are away. Good luck with finding the right furry friend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a mutual favour, it saves them the 3 hour round journey and my plants get looked after.

      Delete
  4. Saving another dog, wonderful you. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We talked about a puppy but only if we can rescue one.

      Delete
  5. Have a great time away Pam.Hope it's nice and relaxing for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in full on chillax mood right now!

      Delete
  6. I love your 'reasons to be grateful'. They make me think. I may try and adopt a similar train of thought.....

    Have a great time away in Wales dear lady.

    Take care.
    Rw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fill your boots, it is the little things that mean the most, I have found. The big things do make you feel good, but you expect that. The cup of tea that appears from nowhere, the washing done, dried and ironed in one afternoon, someone offering to do chores for you, these really give a big feel good boost. I will have a wonderful time thank you.

      Delete
  7. What a brilliant idea! I could do this to the bagging stage (where do you get boil-in the-bag bags from, BTW?) put it in the cool box and take to Wales with us to cook the first night! Bingo! But also a great idea to to make sevral and freeze I should think! Enjoy Wales, we will be hot on your heels, I think! Lx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bags were in with the spice mix, they all came from AF.
      It will make for some easy meals, I have some for sticky ribs, they work well with chops, sausages, and chicken.

      Delete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.