Followers

Saturday 4 July 2015

Flourless pancakes, crazy cats and SUN

We had some rain in the night, as it was wind driven it sounded far heavier than it was. The skies were leaden this morning and it rained on and off for the morning and into the afternoon. Then the skies cleared and the sun came out to play.
Rewind a few hours.
I have been looking at gluten free food for a few days and came across a recipe for pancakes without flour. They are simply 1 decent sized banana mashed within an inch of its life, it needs to be well ripe, with 2 eggs whisked into it.
Then you simply pour dollops of the batter into a heated and oiled pan and proceed as for dollar pancakes.


As you can see my dollars are not at all round, I cooked them on a medium heat till the edges were set and dry bubbles formed on the tops. About 2 minutes.


Then flipped them over for another 2 minutes, they smell wonderful.



I smeared mine with a dab of crunchy peanut butter and stacked them, then dribbled a touch more peanut butter on top. Delish.

There was enough batter for another 4 so that is what I had for lunch. Next time that I make them I will have some sliced strawberries with them.

Back to the day.
As it was not a morning to garden I made my bread and started working on my scrap vortex blocks.
I beavered away and made a tidy stack.



This is around a third of them, plus a small stack of pairs waiting to be joined. All was going well until when rummaging in my scrap bin I found a small piece of Cat Fabric. It was in a parcel of scraps that was sent to me, I had put off cutting into it as I like to wait until I am inspired. Well the Muse kicked me into touch and the scrap vortex was history.

I managed to fussy cut 6 cats and have made 4 of them into 8" by 10" blocks, the remaining 2 are started.




I love them, I have no idea what they will become and I do not really care. Making them into blocks is enough.
Ideas on a postcard............

I did manage to clear the kitchen and do the ironing as well.

I stopped here because I came to my senses and the sun was out and the garden was calling me. More on that next time as my tummy says it is time to get in the kitchen and sling hash.

               TTFN                                                     Pam

ps. No telly tonight....stitchy time.




17 comments:

  1. I will give my daughter your pancake recipe. Those look good! She has to stay away from gluten. Your piecing quilts tops amazes me. Seriously! I wish that I could do that. The kitty cat fabric is so cute and will make that quilt so so pretty! I have lots of scraps but putting those little pieces makes no sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am building up the 6 blocks and with some sashing and a few extra strips of fabric and a couple of borders I hope to get a small quilt from it. I check out your aprons and bonnets every time you post, I just love them. I do not wear hats much but practically live in an apron.

      Delete
  2. Interesting recipe.
    I like your quilt blocks.
    The cats look so cute peeking out of the squares.
    Wishing you a lovely summer day.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made some more pancakes this morning, only used 1 egg and chopped up a peach into it, delicious with a little crushed strawberries spooned over.

      Delete
  3. I think I saw that recipe (or something v. similar) recently. Sounds scrummy. LOVE those cat blocks. They are just SO SWEET. i can see why you got distracted . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are scrummy, I need to buy more eggs now. I love the cat fabric and will be looking for something similar at the Festival of Quilts.

      Delete
  4. Great pancake idea, i shall try it for breakfast tomorrow! Thanks, Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I chopped a peach into mine this morning, it was good.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful patchwork as always . I think I recognise the cats ? Was it from a parcel from me ? Take care xx it's winter here but today is beautiful @9am it's a mild 16c think we might get up to 21c .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It most certainly was. Does it get cold where you are then.

      Delete
    2. Yes it does get cold . We can have some cold winter days , normally when there is a cold wind . Where I live in Queensland it's considered sub tropical highland as we live on top of a mountain range . Once you descend the range temperatures are easily 5 warmer. Went for a drive on the weekend down the range , 15 minutes drive and they grow tomatoes all year round as it is frost free. We get an occasional frost and nights are very cold due to the elevation of the town on top of the Great Dividing Range . Summers are hot but much milder due to the elevation . The town I live is also known as the Garden City and in spring is the most glorious riot of trees and flowers . South East Queensland is a beautiful part of the world . X

      Delete
    3. It sound wonderful, I am going to have a nose on the net.

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  6. I saw that recipe on Youtube recently and wondered what it would turn out like.
    I will be trying that on your recommendation !
    I don't need to eat a gluten free diet but like the look of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had them 3 times now and they are good, a bit iffy to turn over though.

      Delete
  7. Well I liked the blocks at the beginning of your post, I liked the pancake idea but I love the cat blocks they look beautiful. I'm eager to see what you do with them. Because of hospital appts for both me and Mr B I've not touched my machine for weeks and I'm getting withdrawal symptoms especially seeing your creations over the past few posts.lol. Enjoy your evening. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've made those pancakes during the 7 day thingy I did, I didn't wait long enough to flip - you can imagine the mess in the pan!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.