Followers

Thursday 30 July 2015

What a Difference a (sunny) Day Makes

The sun shone bright and clear today. I hit the ground running and got Ben walked bright and early and got into the kitchen.
I baked a cake for friends and once cool sliced it up, wrapped individually and delivered straight to their freezer


Banana and a little mixed fruit.
If I do not slice and freeze it only lasts for a day and a half. Washing done and on the line by 9 giving me time to whizz round and do a few jobs.
 I picked Maggie up and took her shopping as usual and then settled down to some work, with lots and lots of help.


I decided on a pair of arches, because it is open they are buried 2' into the soil, one is there the second is started



It is looking promising.



There they are done. I am very pleased with how it is looking, the center still needs some more topsoil added, tomorrows job. At the front of each arch will be a Honeyberry, I found  a pair in Wyevale for half price, and as I have a card I got a further 10% off so the pair cost me £9.
I am not sure what to grow on the backs, I did wonder about a hardy Kiwi, but will do a little research.

I have this in the yard, what do you see?



Yup, trick question, it is not just a pile of planks. What you are looking at are three raised beds. 6' by 3' by 12" tall for the grand sum of £45, I have a large tub of dark oak stain for them that cost £2.99 and there are more than enough screws and off cuts of wood to join at the corners and make legs to hammer into the ground.

Have you seen the price of raised beds, I think that I have a bargain.


Finally, in the interest of spreading tidiness through the house I have turfed these out of various hidey holes and will be taking them to Cardigan on Saturday. James and Cerys never seem to have enough mugs, this donation should help.

Now I am off to find some dinner, I have a hungry man in the garden who deserves a meal and I am quite peckish myself.


      TTFN                                                         Pam

18 comments:

  1. Your garden is going to look amazing. Love the arches. I've never heard of Honeyberries before. I was in Wyevale this week too, when I got my rose, so I shall have to go back and check . . .

    Your raised beds are definitely good value for money. There's no stopping you now Pam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the bargain area, and find it hard to resist. I also picked up 2 Jostaberries, 1 for me and 1 for a gift. I checked the price of raised beds and it would cost more money to buy 1 at 2' by 4' by 12" deep than my 3 did.

      Delete
  2. What a good idea freezing cake into portions, your garden is coming along nicely now, I have had a mug clear out as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often freeze goodies like this, that way I can not just dip in willy nilly. I am far too impatient to wait and do not like cake defrosted in the microwave.

      Delete
  3. I want some raised beds but like you say the price has been putting me off , The garden is really coming on its looking gorgeous xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fortunate to have a salvage yard near me that delivers in the village free.

      Delete
  4. Getting right posh around your way, you will have everyone talking about you, great stuff with the raised bed, I have a honey berry bush another nice one is pink lemonade :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about posh and if they talk about me thay are leaving some one else alone. I looked up Pink Lemonade, I am going to keep my eyes open for one to put in the back garden.

      Delete
  5. Pam the garden looks wonderful . You are a good woman how you bake for your friends . I rather wish I lived close to you xxx must be looking forwards to your quilt show in August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased with the garden, my friends are good to me in return and I am very pleased that the quilt show is only a week away.

      Delete
  6. The front garden looks great! I would never have thought of adding a pair of arches like that, but they look really good don't they! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wanted something bold but not useless, they will hold climbers well and will frame my roses later.

      Delete
  7. Banana cake looks delish!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made a coffee and walnut cake after you inspired me on your blog, I found a recipe, yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just weigh three eggs, use the same weight of flour, caster sugar and margarine, 2 tbsp coffee essence and a good handful of chopped walnuts, it takes about 50 minutes in my mini oven

      Delete
  9. I have tiny Kiwi seedlings, if I can find a way to get them to you................. we have a kiwi tree overhanging the back of our garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What variety is your Kiwi, there are several out there.

      Delete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.