Followers

Wednesday 22 July 2015

More rain, more bags, more cake.

Yesterday was a true mixed bag, sunshine, rain and intermittent strong gusts of wind. I threw in the towel regarding the garden and decided to sew and bake.
I made another 3 storage bags, yellow, red and green, all have been loaded with the appropriate colour fabrics.




The yellow and green are not as pale as they look, they were both made from pillow cases, there is enough fabric to make a bag and have scraps in each case.


I have 3 more cut out ready to start, floral, dark and grey. I may make an orange one or perhaps use the yellow bag for both colours, time will tell. I will keep my eyes open for a suitable orange fabric, I do not have any in the stash that I want to cut up yet.

I went out for dinner last night to friends, I cooked it and took with me as a treat for them.
First I made some cakes, coffee and walnut.


I use paper tin liners and when I got the new packet out realised that they were for 2lb tins, hey ho, I used one anyway. It was not too unsightly and I portioned that cake up for the freezer. The other went with me, it became pudding with some clotted cream ice cream. Very Yum.


I picked a handful of strawberries and raspberries from the garden to make a fresh fruit cake. The mix looked a little slack so I threw in a good scoop of coconut, put 3/4 of the mix into a lined tin added the fruit and then dolloped the rest of the cake mix on the top. It sank just a little in the middle as it cooled but smells so good. 

For dinner I made a one pot wonder, Chicken, Bacon and veg cobbler. There are carrots, mushrooms, celery, peas, green beans and sweetcorn in there under the cobbles, all in a creamy sauce made with milk and chicken stock. 
I just rubbed some butter into SR flour added a pinch of salt and a grinding of black pepper then added the leaves from a few sprigs of thyme, I bound it to a loose mix with an egg and some milk then just pulled lumps off with my fingers and dropped them on the filling.


It served 4 very generously and we had some spring greens on the side.

Now it looks as if this wet morning is trying to clear out, Ben has had his walk, the vacuum has been whizzed round upstairs and the bathroom has had a birthday.
I am off to inspect the garden and see if I can work outside yet, if not it will be sewing time.

              TTFN                                                             Pam

PS, I will be popping the parcel in the post today Sooze. 

18 comments:

  1. Those little bags are beautiful indeed. The chicken cobbler and cakes look delicious indeed. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were all good, the coffee cake was not as strong as I would have liked though.

      Delete
  2. 'Bathroom has had a birthday' - I like that! Lovely cakes, I haven't made any yet this week. Am trying not to make them so often.....there's only the 2 of us and I'm diabetic so shouldn't really eat them. I ought to just make cake that I'm not keen on....don't know that there is such a thing though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did almost stop baking cakes but have been at it again. I need to put the brakes on now though.

      Delete
  3. Cakes & sewing couldn't get any better, I'm going to have a dabble next week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just remember to eat the cake not push it through the machine. he he

      Delete
  4. Coffee and walnut cake is my hubby's favourite, they look delicious. Hope the rain cleared and you got out in the garden. We've just had a shower but the sun's out again so I'm hoping that it's dry enough for Mick to cut the grass when he gets home from work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did manage a little while outdoors but plan on a full day tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. Please can we have some of your rain, it's gone round us again so virtually no rain for 3 months

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do a little dance, once it is dark.

      Delete
  6. Two of my favourite things, sewing and cooking. Those bags are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, just add reading and gardening and my list is complete, oh aprt from eating.

      Delete
  7. Hi Pam, sorry I've not been around to comment - but I'm now on a big catch up! Cakes look and sound yum. I add coconut/ground almonds to curries if they are a little slack. Adds a delicious sweetness. Darling little bags x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have put coconut in a curry but never thought about ground almonds, next time.

      Delete
  8. As chickpea said, sewing and cooking - great! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your bags are gorgeous and the food looks so tempting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bags are serving a purpose, another one of those "things I will get around to" knocked off the list. Said list grows faster than it shrinks.

      Delete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.