Followers

Saturday 25 July 2015

Hip Hip Hooray, Sunshine Today

At last, a full day in the garden, most of the work in the front garden is complete, just the original middle bed to be cleared and more soil added to raise the level. Then it will be a waiting game for my bare root roses and ground cover perennials in October, not forgetting the bulbs that I will be putting in. I will also put some primulas and winter pansies in. 



 The edging has been capped, the turf has gone and soil has been added to most of the central bed. It is beginning to look like the picture in my head. 



These roses were here when I moved in, they are scented and although old have responded to pruning and feeding.



There are still some flowers on my Quince, and some weeds there too, tut tut.


The Hostas are looking good, I do intend to find a few more. I have never had them before and am so pleased that I kept them in the back garden where there are very few slugs, and none of the large black Keeled ones.


These are just 2 of the Oca's that Dawn from Doing it for ourselves in Wales gave me. There are 2 that have remained quite small but the rest have filled their pots, I am hoping for a reasonable harvest. I will be growing theses again next year.


The apples are looking very good, I have taken more than half the fruit off after the June drop as I did not want to put too much strain on the trees, this is their first year out of pots.

Next week I hope to get the timber for 3 raised beds for the back garden, they will be for veg, the fruit will go directly into the ground. I have put in 2 Rhubarb today and have Gooseberry, Blackcurrant, Jostaberry and Honeyberry in pots ready for planting later in the year. I also have some small Rhubarb plants that I grew from seed, I am as pleased with those as I am with the rest of the garden put together. I have never seen the seed before and just tried it as an experiment, I have 8  and gave 6 away, I will have to remember to take a photo.

My neighbour has finally started work on the jungle, he has cut a load of undergrowth down and had a bonfire. I am so pleased, he is going to remove the Holly stump and has offered to help me clear the straggly Hawthorn at the top of my garden.

It is supposed to rain again tomorrow, if so I will be finishing the sewing room tidy up, and the ironing.
Now it is time for a brew.

                             TTFN                                         Pam

15 comments:

  1. The garden is looking beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased that it is taking shape, but of course I am impatient to see it planted up.

      Delete
  2. Your garden is looking good Pam, one thing I really want is a nice rose bush, can't wait to sort out the new garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love roses and have some new and old varieties coming, I could have bought pot grown but decided that the cost was just too prohibitive. My plants will be lifted and delivered in the autumn as bare roots. It is a saving of almost 70% of the cost.

      Delete
  3. It's a great before and after! What a pretty row of cottages you live in Pam x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the cottages in the village are stone faced, on the day that I viewed it was grey and wet. The overall impression was dismal but now I love it.

      Delete
  4. I love this post - so many beautiful pictures of how a garden should look! Mine took a dive when I was ill and I have more a war than a battle now with weeds and brambles invading from the surrounding fields.
    I was surprised at the colour of the quince flowers - gorgeous. I've been trying to persuade my husband that we need one. Is yours self-fertile? We only have room for one now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quinces come in a variety of colours, I chose the red to look bold against the stone wall. They are self fertile but there will be no fruit this year, I plan on training the plant into a rough fan shape, this should mean that most fruit gets lots of sun and ripens. The fruits are much smaller than the tree ones but in my opinion have more flavour.

      Delete
  5. Good going Pam, lovely garden. You are a year in front of us, hope ours looks as good next year!!

    I wish I could persuade OH to divide the large bed at the top into smaller beds, he is very old fashioned, loves his huge beds, I dislike them, much prefer smaller beds so I can reach in from either side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah its really taking shape, glad to see you may the most of a sunshine day, today I will be sewing as well not the weather for being outside :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The white rock border really makes the color pop. I'm unfortunately so black thumbed, I can't even visualize my yard looking this nice let alone pull it off. Congratulations on your labor matching your vision.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden is looking really good ,Its really coming on , I want to do something similar to your front garden and get rid of the grass , Unfortunately that will be next year , You have inspired me to take some pictures of the garden again to blog about what we have done so far xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's looking wonderful. What a clever clogs you are - and a hard-working one at that.

    I have a Jostaberry and I think now a son of Jostaberry too, if I can get to the fruit before the birds. Mr & Mrs Blackbird have just thieved ALL my blackcurrants on the day before I was going to pick them . . .

    What pretty roses you inherited. I "may" treat myself this week. Only "may" . . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you are doing so well! It all looks great! xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.